Looks like Kormarin is getting reworked..again..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

Whyan #1 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 20:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

Which one please?

How is it being changed (a Rough design guide line).

Why is it being changed?

I'm sitting here thinking about my two most hated maps (Fjords and Mannerhiem line) and praying one's about to get a spanking.

1. Komarin.

2. Adding a few more places where it is possible to cross the water.  There will be two more routes which are parallel to the central one.

3. Many players asked for that.     

From the EU forums.
http://forum.worldof.../page__st__3780
post #3800

So apparently Komarin is getting a second facelift in the next patch by added more access routes to the middle island as oppose to just the 2 bridges we have now.
I'm actually quite curious as to how this will increase the possiblities for mediums by giving them more flanking routes to the middle island as well as any changes to landscape as well.

The_Dutch_Oven #2 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I always find going to the EU forums depressing. Makes this place look so much emptier.

n00biachi #3 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 20:45

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostThe_Dutch_Oven, on Feb 15 2012 - 20:43, said:

I always find going to the EU forums depressing. Makes this place look so much emptier.

Indeed.

Shackram #4 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 20:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Changing Komarin won't help if they continue adding Komarin-like(Swamps) maps.

El Halluf and Malinovka need to be changed more urgently, IMO.

Whyan #5 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 20:57

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostThe_Dutch_Oven, on Feb 15 2012 - 20:43, said:

Yea the Q&A gets answered everyday at least.

Whyan #6 Posted Feb 15 2012 - 21:03

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostShackram, on Feb 15 2012 - 20:51, said:

TBH all three of those maps needs changing ASAP but swamps isn't that bad IMO, at least not as restricting as Komarin.

KnightFandragon #7 Posted Feb 16 2012 - 00:59

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

Hmm, El Halluf needs more ways to attack other then that one little hill we attack up all the time.  Maybe for the center add more rocks or expand the village some, make a deeper gulley up the center or something.

Komarin needs more cover everywhere to defend the bases better...the 2 ways on the island is fine..we just need more places to hide around the bases....Its no dang wonder noone ever defends the cap on that map..its friggin suicide to do so...You cross the bridge there is nothing to hide behind across it.  You stay across the bridge there is only that little cove for the north base with a few destructible buildings and the south base has only like 1 spot that if you wiggle and jiggle your US Tank a little you can acheive some Hull Down.  The South base needs a few spots to hide near the base as well...  The other spots are such a steep elevation that even US Tanks cant hull down there....So yeah, Komarin Base defense spots need some help....

Campinovka....hmm.....Make the town in the center not destructible.  Give the south side base better solid places to hide when they enter the woods.  Add some rocks in the forest...

Center area on Campinovka?  id say maybe add more trees for cover and rework the areas around both bases but give the North side better cover, bigger rocks, deeper front gulley....

KnightFandragon #8 Posted Feb 16 2012 - 01:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

Yeah, Swamp I dont care much for....the new Campania looks like a repeat of Swamp or El Halluf.

On Swamp id definitely make the towns bigger on both sides to give better cover to people advancing up that way.  The spots north and south of the swamp id put more trees and bushes for camo cover...in the swamp maybe more trees....of course I find it suicidal to even go in the swamp, your vulnerable to be shot from every angle..

tanky_the_tank #9 Posted Feb 16 2012 - 19:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostKnightFandragon, on Feb 16 2012 - 00:59, said:

Komarin needs more cover everywhere to defend the bases better...the 2 ways on the island is fine..we just need more places to hide around the bases....Its no dang wonder noone ever defends the cap on that map..its friggin suicide to do so...You cross the bridge there is nothing to hide behind across it.

There is a riverbed depression all along the bridge you just crossed, leading toward the center. Then there's a hill that shields you from the default arty position and center snipers. Finally there are buildings you can use to peekaboo enemy tanks. The problem is getting enough tanks up there before main enemy force digs in.

Sitting behind bridge entire match with nobody forward is suicide, yes.

Jodo42 #10 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 04:18

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Komarin...
Always hated the map, but had some epic rushes on it as well. Glad to see it's getting attention.

HOTA_CHATON #11 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 15:33

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Campinovka need attention, real bad or needs to be relegated to Tier 4 or lower only.

burning_phoneix #12 Posted Feb 18 2012 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I think Komarin is the most complained about map next to Campinovka so I'm glad it's getting some attention.

Give El Halluf a few more months for us to work it out before making any changes to it, it's rather new.

EnsoZero #13 Posted Feb 24 2012 - 22:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I don't think there is anything that can be done to fix Komarin, honestly I wouldn't be sad if they just scrapped it.

Redwing6 #14 Posted Feb 28 2012 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
The best way to make Komarin more competitive would be to have the spawns on the bases...not north south.

KilljoyCutter #15 Posted Feb 28 2012 - 20:53

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRedwing6, on Feb 28 2012 - 16:04, said:

The best way to make Komarin more competitive would be to have the spawns on the bases...not north south.

Indeed.  Both teams can reach the enemy base easier than their own.  

I get the idea behind that, as it's something entirely different, but on that map it just fails completely because of the combination that factor, strange cover locations, and tightly restricted passages from one half of the map to the other.

Redwing6 #16 Posted Feb 29 2012 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostKilljoyCutter, on Feb 28 2012 - 20:53, said:

Indeed.  Both teams can reach the enemy base easier than their own.  

I get the idea behind that, as it's something entirely different, but on that map it just fails completely because of the combination that factor, strange cover locations, and tightly restricted passages from one half of the map to the other.
Changing the spawn points would create the "meeting engagement" that books on armour tactics often talk about.  It would radically change all of the strategies used currently.  Medium and scouts would be dooking it out for spotting rights on the center island...while heavies and arty would provide long range fire...

Stoney74 #17 Posted Feb 29 2012 - 19:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The problem with Komarin is that few players realize that arty is your defense against the cap.  All you need is one spotter to light targets for the arty, and they can defend the base.  If you fire from behind the roads/bridges, you're toast for the other team's arty.  So just sit there, light targets, and enjoy sharing the xp and credits with the arty.  My highest credit match ever in my Chaffee was from doing just that.  Made 33,500 credits and never fired a shot the whole match.  If there's no arty, then its just a straight up direct-fire battle.

ApathyCurve #18 Posted Feb 29 2012 - 20:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostStoney74, on Feb 29 2012 - 19:35, said:

The problem with Komarin is that few players realize that arty is your defense against the cap.

Agreed.  Except when you have no arty.  Or one slow-firing arty.  Or a weak arty.  Or your team doesn't bother to prevent that enemy scout from pumping your arty like the neighbor's cat.

DarthKramer #19 Posted Mar 01 2012 - 00:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
komarin is significantly worse then campinova...needs a major reworking or just remove it...

tanky_the_tank #20 Posted Mar 01 2012 - 03:12

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostStoney74, on Feb 29 2012 - 19:35, said:

The problem with Komarin is that few players realize that arty is your defense against the cap.  All you need is one spotter to light targets for the arty, and they can defend the base.  If you fire from behind the roads/bridges, you're toast for the other team's arty.  So just sit there, light targets, and enjoy sharing the xp and credits with the arty.  My highest credit match ever in my Chaffee was from doing just that.  Made 33,500 credits and never fired a shot the whole match.  If there's no arty, then its just a straight up direct-fire battle.

Or you can break through a weak enemy cap team and move through. Or have several tanks defend against an obvious cap rush while your team advances to their base. There are options here. But they're risky and require whole team to take initiative whenever there's an opportunity to advance, so they don't always work.

Played a match yesterday where we had 3 T7 tanks. I took IS through our base, T29 went middle, Tiger went middle or enemy base. Middle team defeated center snipers. Our cap team protected arty against an enemy advance. I crossed bridge to base cover at beginning of fight and knocked out their cap team with help from arty and a TD that came up with me. Then survivors mopped up the rest. Worked just fine, never turned into a campfest.

Camping team and rushing team both lose this map very badly against careful advance on all fronts. But need team behind you to advance properly, can't do it if center's open or nobody crosses bridge when base is secure. People are too used to camping this map, so odds of both teams camping are high.