Baby's first KV.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

sharlin648 #1 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 17:51

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Having got a KV-1 yesterday and upgrading it slightly with a nice new engine i'm having issues with this sluggish brute.  The main gun is..at best adequate, but its let down by the glacial turret turning speed.  In the few battles i'v had i've found that lobbing HE rounds at distant targets at least does something, the standard ammo just bounces off most things in her weight class at most ranges.

Against weaker tanks its..again adequate, but the sluggish turn, track and sheer size make the KV-1 a looming target.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do before I sell the damn thing and go back to my T-28 and T-46 or have a look at the German tech tree.

Mko #2 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 17:58

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
stick with KV, get the big turret and 107 gun (those I think 76mm guns or what the caliber is...are peashooters, and 152 has too low rate of fire and its only good with HE)

to help you some more...

do not rush out too forward, try to stick with strong tanks, even that the accuracy of russian guns is not too good, you can snipe a bit.

Try to master shooting, so that you dont miss, missing with such slow turret and slow rate of fire is not a good idea

good thing is, you get the idea of playing with a heavy tank early on. KV can still take a lot of damage (though can get one-shotted by 128mm guns), and it can take out a king tiger or simmilar with the 107

sharlin648 #3 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:02

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
*nods* And then do the usual heavy job of sit back and shoot aye?  I've gotten too use to being mobile in my T-46 and T-28, the KV feels..painfully slow.

Mko #4 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:15

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
well youve changed from light/light medium to a heavy...the first and worst heavy, so you need to change playstyle...if you want mobility go for KV 1S then but it dies much easier than KV3

or if you want mobility choose a different path in the tech tree

Swolin #5 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:25

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14324 battles
Yes, the KV is a slug and not that great without being fully upgraded (like most tanks).

However, what I did was not waste much time upgrading anything on it.  I didn't even upgrade to the "bobblehead" turret.  I just stuck with the faster-turning default turret and a decent gun, and devoted all the rest of my XP towards the KV-3.

I did the same thing with the KV-3; upgraded as little as possible and devoted as much XP as possible towards getting the IS.  I believe I did unlock whatever gun on the KV-3 is the first upgrade for the IS (100mm maybe?), but didn't bother with engine, etc.

The KV and KV-3 were nothing more than quick stepping-stones to the IS.  You will be very happy with the IS once you get into it, and it is well worth fully upgrading it, so get there as quickly as possible!  By the time you get there, you will have a good idea of how to properly drive a heavy after suffering thru the KV's...

sharlin648 #6 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Well I tried the A-20, but sold it, I didn't like the thing although I might go back to it or just linger in my T-28, i'll give the KV-1 a try and keep soldiering on.

Veneroso #7 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:36

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40237 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
There are 2 schools of thought with the kv.

Snipe - Get the 107mm gun, upgrade everything.

Mobility - Upgrade 76mm gun, upgrade engine, suspension, possibly radio, default turret.

sharlin648 #8 Posted Sep 13 2010 - 18:53

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15078 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
Many thanks, I think i'll go with mobility and look at getting another A-20 for the T-34.  I don't like the T-43/44 because they are a bit too cheesy imo.  The T-44's a bloody T-54 with a different name :s

bubbs #9 Posted Sep 14 2010 - 09:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSwolin, on Sep 13 2010 - 18:25, said:

Yes, the KV is a slug and not that great without being fully upgraded (like most tanks).

However, what I did was not waste much time upgrading anything on it.  I didn't even upgrade to the "bobblehead" turret.  I just stuck with the faster-turning default turret and a decent gun, and devoted all the rest of my XP towards the KV-3.

I did the same thing with the KV-3; upgraded as little as possible and devoted as much XP as possible towards getting the IS.  I believe I did unlock whatever gun on the KV-3 is the first upgrade for the IS (100mm maybe?), but didn't bother with engine, etc.

The KV and KV-3 were nothing more than quick stepping-stones to the IS.  You will be very happy with the IS once you get into it, and it is well worth fully upgrading it, so get there as quickly as possible!  By the time you get there, you will have a good idea of how to properly drive a heavy after suffering thru the KV's...
I'm afraid to say you missed out. The KV3 with an upgraded turret and the 107mm gun is a delight to play, simply because it matches this amazing gun with a lot of armor. It's very good on the brittle KV with the easy-to-hit, slow-turning turret but on the KV3 it comes right into its element. Sure, you'll have a hard time penetrating the fronts of the heavier tanks but a decent pen (167) coupled with high damage (300) and ROF makes it worth the XP. It's just too bad you don't have the option of mounting it on the IS or higher.

EndlessWaves #10 Posted Sep 15 2010 - 18:18

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It comes down to play style, Personally I felt the IS was the worst tank of the line (it suffers from being too lightly armoured) and the KV and KV-3 two of the best.

I would definitely not skip trying the 107mm on the KV as there are very few other tanks with such power for their tier (the 128mm only does 520 damage so it won't reliable one shot you, only the ISU, and SPGs of course, can do that reliably).

Tokran #11 Posted Sep 15 2010 - 21:52

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAmoc, on Sep 15 2010 - 19:50, said:

If the KV is your first heavy and you're not put off with it then be grateful to know the tree gets a lot more fun and the next tanks are much more powerful in relation to their matchmaking weighting than the KV is.
Sorry, but have the exactly opposite opinion here. Sure, the KV-3 IS better than the KV, as is the IS. But enough for its higher tier. I cant speak for the IS, but my KV-3 is on average placed in considerably higher tiered battles. And given the fact its best gun is the same as on the KV its higher armor and slightly better turret transversal doesn't seem to make it up for me.
As for the matches with lots of light tanks: these are the ones where i usually  do best in my KV. Sure it takes some good positioning to not be ripped appart by SPGs and some really god aiming (definitely switch of auto aim), but beeing swarmed by targets that can barely damage you at all and are oneshots for you... perfect!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users