Lert's easy tips for beginners

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

xtm059 #21 Posted Mar 04 2012 - 01:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3808 battles
Remember to breathe.  Sometimes when I drink too many red bulls I get hyper-excited and forget to breathe for 30-40 seconds and my face starts turning blue and my vision gets starry.  Starry vision is bad for accuracy.

Don't drink too many red bulls. Drinking too many energy drinks can cause palpitations, which remove focus from the game, and give your hands the palsy, which is bad for accuracy and driving.

Lert #22 Posted Mar 04 2012 - 13:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles
Update: added rule the fifteenth.

Renshaw #23 Posted Mar 04 2012 - 15:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29571 battles
Great tips!  I just started playing a week(?) or so ago, but (remarkably?) I haven't done anything that violates these rules.  Perhaps you should add "Don't be impatient" as rule #16, though. :D

Rule #14 did get me wondering if there's a comprehensive guide that lists all available tanks, and what general roles they're designed to fill. I know that can change depending on the modules (especially the gun) and equipment you have fitted.  I've looked in the FAQ and guides, and found basic information on a given nation's tanks and their general strengths & weaknesses, but no single guide that lists all the tanks for quick reference.

BigDork #24 Posted Mar 04 2012 - 20:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12306 battles
Excellent and lucid.  Thanks for the post.

#10.  I play to win.  Win = have fun to me. I get a bit frustrated when players charge across the field to their deaths because, while it may be fun or humorous to them, it reduces the team's chance to win. I would like to very politley suggest these players find a single-player game of some sort or play on the team opposite me.  That would be very enjoyable.

#11.  I play arty a lot. While I do enjoy the rare Top Gun, my goal is always to get Confederate. And I have actually had players thank me for beating down their opponent so they can finish them.  That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Rubber_Boot_9 #25 Posted Mar 05 2012 - 01:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 3003 battles
Thanks for the info Lert,

As I am nearing my 1k battle I think I'm still a noob, at my 500th I tought I was an expert, lol, then I started reading forum posts and looking at other players stats, that was a shock. I wish I had seen this post at the beginning my % would be better now. Now I'm behind the 50% mark by about 40 battles and it will take a long while to get over that hump.

I'm an expert at tank warfare and gunnery, 28 years as a tanker, 24 as a TC (retired for a few years now). I have used many simulators (u-coft, simnet, simfire, telfare devices, sub-caliber inserts and many foreing ones, leopard sims, Cougar armoured vech sims and many more experimental and obsolete ones whose name I forgot. I participated in 2 Canadian Army trophy (CAT) competitions. I have taught armoured tactics at nco and officer levels for both the Canadian Army, US army and Marine Corps. I'm a Master Gunner Instructor (US) and a Canadian Advance Gunner. But enough bragging, my point is I love this game, and people should appreciate it for what it is and take everything on the lighter side and apply themselves to learn to play it to the best of their abilities and respect others.

Believe it or not WoT is a successfull tactical trainer, it helps develop a sense of 360 degree awareness and cooperation between players, if you dont believe it look at the clans, most Canadian armoured units have clans formed by their members, same goes for US Army units, dont underestimate the power of simulators even if they are games developped by programmers.

This said, I hate one thing some people in small fast tanks do, some shoot their guns in the ground in front of them to let you know there coming, this happen mostly at the start point, it's a waste of ammo and highly impolite. Maybee there should be a gun safe area at the beginning of the game where anyone shooting in the first 15 sec of the game would be penalised. nuf said.

Again Lert, excellent post a must read for beginners

BTW this is my first post I have read the rules but my noobiness might have taken over , hope I didn't break rules I dont understand.

DeathA3R0 #26 Posted Mar 05 2012 - 02:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20060 battles
Rule Sixteen: COMMUNICATE!

One of the main reasons that public matches suck is that there is no teamwork between members. Be it artillery or lights you can be super efficient if you talk to one another.

Lert #27 Posted Mar 05 2012 - 02:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles

Rubber_Boot_9, on Mar 05 2012 - 01:17, said:

Again Lert, excellent post a must read for beginners
Thank you, and welcome aboard. It's always good to see someone who's given so much for freedom.

2_minutes_hate #28 Posted Mar 05 2012 - 18:46

Captain

• Players
  • 10545 battles
  • [ADP] ADP
+1 simply cant look away from crazy cat eye avatar. would like to point out good rules. but they are all equal good and noteworty. good show.

ertdfgcvb #29 Posted Mar 06 2012 - 05:26

Private

• Players
  • 2381 battles
Great Guide, Lert.  Articulately stated common sense.  We need more of it!

Generally, you get an A- on avoiding confusing terms ... except for "cap".  What is it?  "Capture"?  It seems to be winning by occupying the enemy's base, but ....

Rule the fifth: Kill or Cap is all the same. There is no super secret mega special bonus for killing all tanks or winning by cap. Only a tiny one for wiping out all tanks, but this one is too small to worry about and not worth the extra risk and time. There is only individual XP for killing or capping, but it all evens out in the end. The swift win is always, Always, ALWAYS preferable to the risky, drawn out hunt.
unquote

As background, I'm new, have played about 200 games over the past 10 days.

ertdfgcvb #30 Posted Mar 06 2012 - 05:59

Private

• Players
  • 2381 battles
Rubber_Boot_9 mentions a small problem I have:

Rubber_Boot_9, on Mar 05 2012 - 01:17, said:

I hate one thing some people in small fast tanks do, some shoot their guns in the ground in front of them to let you know there coming, this happen mostly at the start point, it's a waste of ammo and highly impolite. Maybee there should be a gun safe area at the beginning of the game where anyone shooting in the first 15 sec of the game would be penalised. nuf said.

I must apologize for this behavior which, in my case, is not intentional.  My mousepad seems to interpret a tentative touch as the left-click which of course is the trigger!  I no longer look directly at my game mates for fear I will shoot them despite my best intentions.

Is there a trigger (on-off toggle) safety in this code-complex game?  I'd love to be able to play without the fear I'll shoot my friends!

Lert #31 Posted Mar 06 2012 - 12:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles

ertdfgcvb, on Mar 06 2012 - 05:26, said:

What is it?  "Capture"?
Yes. To 'cap' is to capture the base by sitting in the enemy base circle for enough time without getting damaged. For a single tank this takes 100 seconds (0-100%), when there's 2 or 3 tanks, the base captures faster.

CharlieFoxtrot #32 Posted Mar 06 2012 - 13:53

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8176 battles
Nice job Lert. I don't always agree with you but this post is spot on!
I also like your love of German armor......They are near and dear to my heart as well. +1 on post.
Charlie out......

PickeringPirate #33 Posted Mar 14 2012 - 03:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10789 battles
  • [3DACR] 3DACR
Just boosting this back to the top.  Info is too good to be off the first page.   :Smile_honoring:

Vin_Cross #34 Posted Mar 14 2012 - 18:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5440 battles
I wish this had been around when I first started out. Might have helped my win % a lot. Personally, I wouldn't mind having this stickied; keep it on the first page and all that. :Smile_honoring:

lofar_dog #35 Posted Mar 14 2012 - 21:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 10557 battles
Good info; well explained.  Great touch of humor.  Were you ever a teacher/instructor?  Well done.  BZ!

Lionheart1917 #36 Posted Jun 10 2012 - 23:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 3549 battles
Rule 16; no bad language (when used to offend someone, we all swear when things go wrong, just don't aim it at other people)

Yeah, maybe. That might be disobeyed quite alot, so nevermind.

fsjd #37 Posted Jun 11 2012 - 01:52

Major

• Players
  • 11077 battles
  • [TT] TT
rule the 10th is why my AMX12 hasnt survived a battle yet- in helping my teammates, i am naturally the enemys new top target. and a few allies cant keep track of whos in front and accidently shoots me instead- mostly the small, low damage guys, and its an accident, but still. most of my harrasment targets die soon after- after all, im an easy kill, but that other tier 8 looking at you deals more damage.

Look_its_Rain #38 Posted Jun 11 2012 - 03:52

Major

• Players
  • 11776 battles
An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Bump.

jerv #39 Posted Jun 11 2012 - 05:09

Major

• Players
  • 7701 battles
I just re-read this, and it reminds me why you are my hero :Smile_honoring:

SBSimjon #40 Posted Jun 11 2012 - 14:54

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5359 battles
  • [S-B] S-B
Some more advanced rules:

"Know your enemy" -- If you can get round the side of a TD then they can't hit you; some tanks can't fire downhill etc etc.
"Use the terrain" -- Dead ground behind hill crests is great for moving without being seen.  Hull down is a tactic that works very well in some tanks
"Let them come round the corner"... That way your arty can help, and theirs can't hit you
"Don't bunch up" -- more than 3 tanks together should be a cue to move --- you'll be too busy staying out of each other's way to get decent shots in, plus you're risking some accidental friendly fire as you pull out into someone's shot.

I think this has already been said but  "Use the mini-map".. If you see a side buckling think where you'll be most needed -- on a charge to the base, or back in defence.

"Rotate your targets when defending a cap"...  Each hit drops that tank's share of the capture to 0 -- if you hit a different one next, you will reduce the capture by more (this is about the only time where "Rule the thirteenth" could be regarded as incorrect).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users