World of Tanks Chronicles: The Steel Soldier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
391 replies to this topic

AlphaAndOmega #21 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 22:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF "WORLD OF TANKS CHRONICLES: THE STEEL SOLDIER"...

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 11: BLITZKRIEG AGAIN

As usual, I headed out in search of more prey.

Driving through the city of Ensk, I found a Panzer IV charging towards me.

For some reason, I recognized it as the same one that I saw driving by me after my battle with the Farmers’ Brigade.

Don’t ask me how; I just knew.

I suppose it’s part of a tanker’s intuition.

Intuition or not, I didn’t sit around asking questions; I just blew it away.

There was more where he came from, though, and I found this out when I got another transmission:

“It is useless to resist us, you Soviet bastard! We have you surrounded!”

For a brief moment, I wondered how my foes were transmitting on my frequency.

Were they checking all the frequencies? Did they just happen to share the same frequency as me?

In any case, they were right.

Shortly after I received the transmission, I found myself face-to-face with a Panzer III and an M4 Sherman.

It was then that I realized I was facing "The Blitzkrieg Boys".

The Boys were a company that primarily had German tanks, but also had plenty of American tanks.

They were better-equipped than the Farmers’ Brigade, as their company had tanks such as Panzer IIIs, Panzer IVs, M4 Shermans, M3 Stuarts, Panzer 35(t)s, Panzer 38(t)s and other tanks around this level.

For some reason, a number of the American tanks sported an unusual flag: This flag had a diagonal blue cross on a red background with white stars adorning the cross.

I was no expert on American flags, so I didn’t recognize it.

I didn’t care to recognize it, either.

I only cared to blow it up.

However, true to their name, the Blitzkrieg Boys were quick attackers, and combined with the slow reload time on the 152, made for an intense confrontation.

To compensate, I used the old ramming trick.

It wasn’t always easy, considering the speed of some of their tanks.

However, I soon began to thin their ranks, but it was taking a toll on Goliath.

As their ranks began to thin out, I saw a few French tanks working for them.

Unlike normal French tanks, though, these had a red, white and blue “axe” logo in place of the normal “target” logo I’d seen on French tanks.

One of these tanks was even painted “German Gray”.

All very interesting, but being interested in some tank isn’t going to blow it up, so I just kept on fighting.

The last tank I encountered was a Leichttraktor.

I simply laughed at him and ran him over.

“Yes! Now to head home!”

However, just when I was heading home…

BOOM!!!

There was an explosion that came out of nowhere.

I started searching the city, looking for any rogue tanks that I’d missed.

Still, the explosions kept coming.

Most of them missed, hitting buildings instead.

However, a few of them came dangerously close to me.

Since the city was empty, I decided to check the field next to the city.

A couple of minutes later, I came across a self-propelled artillery gun, a Sturmpanzer I “Bison”, to be exact.

The way he’d been shooting me, it was almost like he had some sort of “sixth sense”.

I started to take aim at it, but he caught sight of me first and opened fire…

BOOM!!!

For the first time, Goliath had been destroyed.

The SPG started to drive away, thinking that I was dead.

Thankfully, that armored suit that I had built for myself had saved me from major injury.

When I was sure that the Bison was looking away, I jumped out of my tank’s burning shell and got an anti-tank grenade ready.

I aimed as best I could, threw the grenade and…

BOOM!!!

The Bison was destroyed!

Alas, because my tank was destroyed, I could not return home.

Now, it was time to survive.

cheesellama #22 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 23:52

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
*Gasps epicly* MEGA-GAASSSSSP! DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUNNN... :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

AlphaAndOmega #23 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 00:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 12: SURVIVAL

On the downside, because I was far away from home, I lacked access to a full-fledged repair facility.

On the upside, though, my repair and metallurgy skills were sufficiently advanced that I could carry out enough repairs in the field to get Goliath going again.

Problem is, I didn’t know how long it was going to be before any more tanks arrived, so I had to stay alert.

So, I got to work immediately.

To carry out my repairs, I took some scrap metal and other useable parts from the other blown up tanks.

It wasn’t easy to find parts that fit well, but I managed to get the stuff I needed.

To reduce the chances of being spotted, I assembled an ersatz tent and spread branches & leaves over it as camouflage.

Repairs were going well, but during the repairs, I heard what sounded like an engine in the distance.

I left my tent, looked around, and it wasn’t long before I spotted another Panzer IV.

“You’re mine, you fool!”

I hid in some nearby bushes, and when the timing was right, I jumped on the tank and ripped open the driver’s hatch.

I drew my Tokarev pistol and killed the driver.

Next, I ripped open the turret hatch and killed the commander, loader and gunner.

The radio operator wasn’t so easy to kill, because when he heard the first shot, he must’ve hidden somewhere.

I was surprised when he grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into the turret.

I dropped my gun upon hitting the floor.

He attempted to grab my gun, but I pushed him away and got back on my feet.

Ordinarily, all that steel would’ve just weighed me down, but I was used to the weight of it all by now.

In fact, I think I may be getting to that point where I move around better when I’m wearing my armor than when I’m not.

Regardless, I grabbed the radio operator and started slamming his head against the turret wall.

When he was unconscious, I picked my gun back up and took command of the tank.

I spotted additional tanks coming my way, so I got ready to fight.

While I tried to eliminate all enemy tanks in the vicinity, I also tried to stay within range of Goliath.

Unfortunately, this tank was quite a shock to me after driving the KV series tanks for so long.

Because its armor and firepower were not so good, I was forced to be crafty.

Also, the controls weren’t the same, which, compounded by the fact that all the labels were in German, made things difficult for me.

Sure, I knew quite a bit of German, but some things were still not understandable.

Luckily, this specimen had a few things going for it.

For one, it was faster than Goliath was.

Also, the gun was more accurate.

Speaking of the gun, it was a 75mm cannon, a KwK 40 if I’m correct.

Good enough for me.

It should have been good enough, because I detected a mix of American, German, French and Russian tanks emerging from the forest.

However, they didn’t appear to be grouped up as a tank company.

True, members of the same tank company often split up and mixed in with the unwashed masses for a number of battles, and it did happen that company men might end up battling their fellow company men.

However, I got the feeling that most of these folks were your average, run-of-the-mill tankers.

Easy pickings.

First, I moved to a new position, hoping to stay out of sight.

Next, I pointed the Panzer’s cannon at a Sherman tank and opened fire.

BOOM!

The shot didn’t kill the Sherman, but it did set it on fire, which did end up destroying the tank.

I fell back to another new position, hoping to avoid the wrath of the group.

Most of them proceeded through the city, hoping to eliminate their opponents.

However, one T-34 broke off and started pursuing me, thinking that I was an enemy tank.

Well, I was an enemy, but not necessarily the one he was looking for.

With a fresh round in the chamber, I pointed the cannon right at the driver’s compartment and fired.

BOOM!

The tank stopped, its driver apparently dead.

In the meantime, the tank took a shot at me, which missed.

It got going again, but its movement was slowed and somewhat jerky.

I suspected that another crewman had been ordered to fill the driver’s seat.

Regardless, I aimed the gun at the turret this time and fired.

BOOM!

The round didn’t appear to penetrate, but there was plenty of smoke and flames emanating from the tank.

For some reason, the surviving crewmen decided to abandon the tank and flee.

Before the dark times, they would have been shot in accordance with Order No. 227

This was different.

Without policy – without formal commanders – they could do what they liked.

Rather than killing them, I let them flee.

The way I figured it, they were dead anyways.

As for their comrades, they were deep within the city of Ensk.

Judging by all the guns going off, I was right – they had found an enemy.

Rather than joining the fray, though, I used this break in the action to get back to Goliath.

When I heard the cannons subsiding, I stopped what I was doing and got back to the Panzer.

I picked a position in a nearby railyard to hole up and await survivors.

Judging by the direction that a T2 medium tank and an AMX-40 were coming from, it appeared that the opposing forces had won the day.

“Appeared” being a relative word.

Without question, I fired at the T2.

BOOM!

The T2 was no more.

Naturally, the AMX spotted me and attempted to fire upon me.

That shot bounced off, but when I fired upon the AMX, mine bounced off as well.

I cursed at myself.

I was so used to the firepower of the 75mm cannon that I expected it would be more than a match for this machine.

Our next volley of shots bounced as well.

Then, I remembered another trick from before the dark times:

When in doubt, aim for the flat parts.

I located one on the front of the AMX, fired, and…

BOOM!

That’s the last of them!

Or…so I thought.

Coming back to Goliath, I felt a round strike the Panzer from an unknown position.

Checking the general area, I chanced upon an SU-76 tank destroyer.

The next round struck my gun mantlet, missing the ammo rack by a few centimeters.

In the end, though, the Panzer proved its superiority, reducing the SU-76 to scrap metal.

Now that the field was clear, I returned to where Goliath was located and finished up my makeshift repairs.

There was just one more issue to solve:

I attached one of my anti-tank grenades to the ammo rack of the Panzer, pulled the pin and got away as far as I could.

BOOM!

The tank went up in flames.

I was a little sad that I had to destroy it. After all, it did prove its worth when I needed a temporary tank and it was interesting to drive.

However, I had to make sure that no one else could get their hands on it and potentially do harm to Goliath.

Speaking of Goliath, I took down that tent, hopped in and drove it home safely, where I could give it some proper repairs.

The T-34?

I left it alone.

After all, who’s going to take such a crippled tank?

As for me, I decided to spend a little time studying German and French.

cheesellama #24 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 22:51

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
http://t3.gstatic.co...aHCwUNniC4_4sPg

Oh, and BTW, you should've done a tier 5 premium, because of the fact you don't need to research anything for it. He also should've gave the crew gold for their tank instead of beating them up.

AlphaAndOmega #25 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 03:30

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Gold? For which tank, the Panzer?

P.S., Not to spoil anything, but our hero will encounter a Tier V Premium eventually. Stay tuned!

AlphaAndOmega #26 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 03:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Off-topic, but let me also say, if Wargaming offers either the Panzer IV Hydro or the captured Soviet Panzer IV as premium tanks and I've got the gold, or if they give one of those away as a promo tank, then I'm going for it!

AlphaAndOmega #27 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 02:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 13: THE LEGACY OF 24601

Another day, another journey into the wilderness, looking for someone to challenge.

In Westfield, I found that challenge.

Here, I came upon a gang calling themselves “Les Fils du Jean Valjean” (EN: “The Sons of Jean Valjean”).

They were an all-French gang, with a healthy mix of light, medium and heavy tanks such as Char B1s, AMX-12ts, D2s, AMX-40s, plus a couple of tanks that I didn’t recognize.

One of these was a tank that looked similar to the AMX-12t, but with a different gun attached to it.

The other was a heavy tank with a gigantic box-shaped turret on it.

Given the nature of French tanks, they weren’t too challenging.

However, they still presented a few challenges:

First of all, the speed of the AMX-12t and its lookalike made it challenging to aim, so I was forced to ram them in case I missed.

Second of all, the new heavy tank that I had encountered possessed decent armor, so my 152mm cannon didn’t always kill it in one hit, unlike the B1 or the BDR G1B.

And finally, no matter how many of these guys I killed, it felt like they kept coming.

All in all, I was forced to take a stealthier approach rather than outright charging into battle.

Worse yet, my tank was running low on ammo.

Thankfully for me, their ranks were beginning to thin out.

They tried one final push at me with a couple of AMX-12ts.

Unfortunately, my cannon was all out of ammo by now, so what could I do?

I rammed one of the 12-tons, putting it out of action.

An anti-tank grenade did severe damage to another one of them, possibly killing the crew as well.

Using one of the destroyed 12-tons as a platform, I jumped onto a third one, opened the hatch and killed all the crew members with my Tokarev.

A fourth one had showed up to give assistance, but when the crew witnessed what I had done to the third tank, they stopped and jumped out of their tank.

“Monsieur, please do not shoot,” one of the crewmen begged, “We will do whatever you wish!”

I told them, “Go on, get out of here before I kill you!!”

“Not so fast, mes frères!” exclaimed their commander, who emerged from the tank.

The crew halted.

“Don’t listen to him!” I commanded. “He is making a foolish mistake!”

“No!” retorted the commander, “For too long, our country has been enslaved by foreign invaders! We have come too far to be defeated by cette chienne communiste! We must kill him and then we will not be slaves again!”

“Then, you will die!”

“I am willing to take that chance!”

“So be it!”

For some reason, rather than getting back in the tank, the commander charged at me and attempted to kill me with his sidearm.

I put a bullet right between his eyes.

The other crewmen just stood there, too scared to do anything.

Without further hesitation, they ran over the hills to an unknown location.

They ran so fast, it was as if they had been trained for this kind of thing.

With the job done, I searched the third 12-ton, hoping to find a clue about the mystery tanks I saw.

Taking a handbook from one of the dead crewmen, I read through it to see if I could find any information on these tanks.

I was in luck; I was able to identify both tanks.

The AMX-12t lookalike was called an AMX-13/75.

Judging by the specs, it had improved speed and firepower over the 12-ton.

The new heavy tank was called an ARL-44.

Obviously, it was an improvement over the BDR G1B when it came to firepower and armor.

I didn’t need a silly little book to tell me that.

Before I went home, I hopped in the empty 13/75 and decided to use that third 12t as target practice.

Just when I thought the Panzer IV was odd, this one made it look fairly normal.

Nevertheless, I got a decent grasp of the controls.

I was also pleasantly surprised by one feature on the gun:

Every time I fired a shot, a cylinder loaded a new round into the chamber within seconds.

By the time the cylinder was emptied, the 12-ton was toast.

After I attached a live anti-tank grenade to the 13/75’s ammo rack, it too was toast.

Oh, and speaking of the book, I’d like to share an interesting discovery I made about that book:

See, the book claimed that the French had a tank called a “SOMUA S35”, but I never saw one on the battlefield.

Actually, I did see one…once.

Only it was painted in German Gray.

Quite strange…

cheesellama #28 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 03:49

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles

View PostAlphaAndOmega, on Apr 05 2012 - 03:30, said:

Gold? For which tank, the Panzer?

P.S., Not to spoil anything, but our hero will encounter a Tier V Premium eventually. Stay tuned!
NO! I meant you should've done another tier 5 that is a premium tier 5, such as the Churchill, Matilda, T14, Ram II, M4A2E4, or T-25

And +1!

AlphaAndOmega #29 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 04:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postcheesellama, on Apr 06 2012 - 03:49, said:

NO! I meant you should've done another tier 5 that is a premium tier 5, such as the Churchill, Matilda, T14, Ram II, M4A2E4, or T-25

And +1!

OK, I think I know what you mean.

Another random musing: Why is there a German tank with a "T" designation? I mean, you see a tank with a name like "T-25" and it leads you to believe it's either American or Russian (though, given the presence of a dash, more likely Russian)!

cheesellama #30 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 04:01

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles

View PostAlphaAndOmega, on Apr 06 2012 - 04:09, said:

OK, I think I know what you mean.

Another random musing: Why is there a German tank with a "T" designation? I mean, you see a tank with a name like "T-25" and it leads you to believe it's either American or Russian (though, given the presence of a dash, more likely Russian)!
Totally true bro.

AlphaAndOmega #31 Posted Apr 09 2012 - 01:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 14: HIDE AND SEEK

I forgot to tell you that I was also skilled with making gunpowder in addition to metallurgy.

Of course, the powder quality wasn’t as good as the stuff that came from the factory, but it worked, and the powder quality was improving by now.

When even that was not enough, I checked any hidden ammo dumps that I came across for 152mm shells.

These were hard to find “in the wild”, but I managed to come across them, nevertheless.

Once I loaded up Goliath, I set off on another adventure.

This time, my trip took me to the Ural Mountains.

Everything looked okay, but I knew that something might be off.

While I was driving, I found myself under fire from enemy tanks I couldn’t even see.

This was the worst possible thing that could ever happen on the battlefield.

Even worse, I kept receiving radio messages from nowhere, probably from those hidden tanks.

They said stuff like, “You cannot beat us!” “We are everywhere!” “We see all!”

I just tried to keep driving, hoping that the enemy wouldn’t hit me.

When one shot broke one of my tracks, I got so angry that I just fired in the direction that the shot came from.

Luckily, a shower of sparks shot out of the bushes, which meant I hit something.

I was so relieved to actually hit one of them, my head cleared up.

After I jumped out and fixed my busted track, I formulated a new plan:

Rather than drive around blindly and hope to avoid their fire, I drove cautiously.

When somebody started firing at me, I just fell back and tried to determine what direction they were firing from.

When the firing stopped, I edged out until the firing began again.

Just like before, I determined the direction that the shots came from and fired in that direction.

It was a risky maneuver, especially considering that my 152mm cannon was not very accurate at longer ranges.

However, considering that I wasn’t in a hectic, fast-paced battle, my cannon was always loaded by the time I encountered an enemy.

Also, my shots seemed to hit most of the time.

Speaking of shots, while searching for all these guys, I happened to catch a StuG III unaware.

One more easy kill for me.

However, the battle didn’t feel so easy near the end.

I was running low on ammo, so I had to play it carefully.

Worse yet, Goliath was getting worn out.

Even so, both of us won the day yet again.

We weren’t done yet, though.

I had to investigate these guys.

The way they fought, it was as if they really knew what they were doing.

I drove to every one of the blown-up vehicles and searched the crewmen for any forms of identification.

After conducting my examination, I determined that these guys were part of a company called “The Armored Shadows”.

The Shadows were composed of members of the American OSS, the German Abwehr and my country’s own GRU.

These were the kinds of guys who just showed up out of nowhere, did their job and just disappeared without a trace.

Well…until now, that is.

Because they were more interested in being hidden from the enemy rather than flattening them with massive firepower, they mostly drove light and medium tanks, plus a few tank destroyers and occasional SPGs for long-range support.

Their most advanced tanks were up-armored versions of the M4A3 Sherman known as the M4A3E2 & M4A3E8, two different versions of the VK 3001 and a version of the T-34 with an 85mm gun.

None of their tanks were less advanced than what was known as “Tier Four”.

See, a little while after tanks were invented – around the same time that I got my T-26 – it became common practice among tank manufacturers and tank divisions to use “tiers” to signify various levels of technological development.

The first tanks (e.g. FT-17, MS-1) were called the “Tier One” tanks.

My old T-26 was classified as a “Tier Two” tank.

Goliath is classified as a “Tier Five” tank, though it sure as hell doesn’t feel like one.

Given the massive firepower and armor, I think that the Soviets were planning to re-classify the KV-2 in a higher tier prior to the dark times.

Aside from their group affiliations, what I found most interesting was a mysterious letter that I found on the commander of a VK 3001, which, strangely enough, was in English:

“Agent 412:

It has come to our attention that your company is experiencing difficulties in the Eastern Territories. This geographic sector is of utmost importance to our cause. If you cannot push further or even maintain your control in this sector, then I am afraid that I shall have no choice but to remove you from our clan and notify all operatives in this area of your grievous failure.

Remember, the rewards for success are great. Do not disappoint us.

-With regards,
W.G.”

Clan?

Wow, these guys are really serious!

I was awed by the realization that I may have seriously disrupted something that was part of a larger operation.

I was also very curious about the whole thing:

What clan did these guys belong to?

What is their overall cause?

And who is W.G.?

With a head full of questions, I headed back to my hideout and decided to store this letter in a safe place.

I really should get a safe.

cheesellama #32 Posted Apr 09 2012 - 01:37

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
http://t3.gstatic.co...pk83Rbudh0IqRNn

floppytechie001 #33 Posted Apr 11 2012 - 17:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7964 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH
im thinking,should our hero level up by now?pastures beyond the KV2 are much greener(KV3,IS3,IS4...)maybe even have him explore the medium line? :Smile_great:
also,i think u need to explain how that guy gets his fuel.seems like every morning he just wakes up with a full tank of diesel,like manna from heaven  :blink:  :lol:
but good read anyway,+1 ;)  :Smile_honoring:

AlphaAndOmega #34 Posted Apr 11 2012 - 23:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postfloppytechie001, on Apr 11 2012 - 17:07, said:

im thinking,should our hero level up by now?pastures beyond the KV2 are much greener(KV3,IS3,IS4...)maybe even have him explore the medium line? :Smile_great:
also,i think u need to explain how that guy gets his fuel.seems like every morning he just wakes up with a full tank of diesel,like manna from heaven  :blink:  :lol:
but good read anyway,+1 ;)  :Smile_honoring:

Yeah, I kinda forgot to explain the fuel thing. Sorry about that.  :facepalmic:

As for the KV-2, this thing's kinda like his loyal steed, so I doubt he'll be switching to another heavy no matter how many times he gets his ass kicked. Besides, I have both a KV-2 & KV-3, and even though my KV-2 has gotten wrecked by Tier IX heavies, it's still fun to drive, and it's still fun to do 20%+ damage with the M-10 despite the age-long reload.

On the other hand, I think maybe I could have him toy around with another medium eventually...

AlphaAndOmega #35 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 00:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 15: WAIT…WHO’S COMING?

With each battle, I collected more handbooks from fallen tankers.

However, I was having problems storing them all.

Worse, they weren’t exactly centralized.

So, in an effort to centralize them, I just created a handbook of my own, writing down all known information about each tank I found, using material from all the handbooks.

It took me a while, but I eventually finished my new handbook and discarded most of the ones that I had collected.

Also, to make things easier for myself, I left plenty of room for expansion should I come across any new tanks.

Having done that, I set out on another trip, this time, to the Steppes.

Here, I encountered a company calling themselves “Les Internationalistes”.

They were mainly a Soviet company, but they also had a good number of Frenchmen in their ranks.

They believed that Communism had taken a wrong turn under Stalin’s rule and wanted to return to the old Marxist-Leninist style of communism and in the process of doing so, to form an international brotherhood with all men.

As a means of carrying out this goal, their company included KVs (both KV-1 and KV-2s, none of which had the same cannon as mine), T-34s (76mm and 85mm variants), ARL-44s, AMX-12ts, SU-85s, plus a few more tanks that weren’t familiar to me.

At the start of the battle, I took a brief look at the battlefield.

It didn’t take me long to figure out that simply going straight across was suicide, so I opted for another approach.

To my west, there were some rock formations sticking out of the ground that looked like they would provide good cover, so I chose to go there.

At another rock formation just north of it, there was a T-34-76, an AMX-12t and an unidentified light tank in Soviet colors waiting for me.

I knew that the AMX had a powerful cannon, so I fired at it first.

BOOM!!!

That tank was now just a pile of burnt metal.

I backed off, when suddenly, an AMX 13/75 snuck up behind me and put a round into my turret.

Luckily, Goliath was still okay, so I tossed an anti-tank grenade at the AMX while I was waiting for the cannon to reload.

The AMX wasn’t killed, but it was set on fire, which did destroy it.

When my cannon reloaded, I poked out around the corner to find that the T-34 was coming towards me.

The 152mm cannon showed him the error of his action.

As for that mystery tank, I wanted it alive, so I simply charged towards it, his shells bouncing off of Goliath.

He tried to back away, but he backed into a rock formation.

Perfect.

I jumped out of Goliath and hopped onto the mystery tank.

Just as I had done before, I opened the hatches and blew away all the crew members with my Tokarev.

However, I had a battle to attend to, so I quickly got back to Goliath and continued the carnage.

I got back just in time to see another T-34 bearing down on me, with an ARL-44 in tow.

I backed away around the corner, but not before the ARL-44 scraped my tank with one of its rounds.

Goliath was hurt, but not too badly.

I waited a few more seconds before deciding to come back out.

For some reason, the T-34-85 was gone, but the ARL-44 remained.

Almost immediately, I worried that the T-34 would be attempting a sneak attack.

The ARL fired again, but luckily, he missed.

I didn’t.

His tank was severely damaged, but still alive.

I knew it was risky, but I just felt like charging after the wounded ARL.

For some reason, though, while I was charging it, it didn’t fire back.

I wondered: Was their gunner killed? Did their gun jam?

I didn’t stop to ponder all that. Rather, I just gave the enemy tank a nice, hearty ram, which knocked it out for the remainder of the battle.

I turned around just in time to find the T-34 I was looking for.

The T-34 fired at me, but the shot bounced.

Mine didn’t.

Now that both T-34s were junked, I needed to find the other tanks.

I passed through the second rock formation and surveyed the area.

Nothing.

I was a little hesitant to go any further because they may have set up a trap, so I turned around and headed for the eastern flank.

On my way there, I ran into an AMX-40 plus another one of those unrecognizable Soviet tanks.

This one was different.

While its hull was unrecognizable, the turret bore a resemblance to the T-28’s cylindrical turret.

I killed the AMX-40, but the other tank was not so easy to take on.

This one did quite a bit of damage to Goliath, so I had to dodge him.

I wanted it alive, but I felt that capturing it posed a significant risk, so I simply torched it.

Moving on, I encountered yet another odd tank painted in our colors.

This one had a long, rectangular hull with a somewhat small turret.

Its first shot bounced, but in short order, it was able to fire off another round, which did some damage.

I decided that this thing was also a danger to Goliath, so another 152mm round made sure that it would no longer endanger my tank.

However, shortly after I blasted this thing, I encountered a KV-1.

This one appeared to be stock, and the 76mm round that bounced off of my turret only confirmed that.

However, I wasn’t taking any more chances, so I fell back to cover while I waited for the 152 to reload.

By the time it did that, the enemy KV-1 was nearly on to me.

I drove up to it, and at point-blank range, I blew a large hole through it.

Around this time, another KV-1, this one with a longer 76mm cannon, had showed up to take me on.

However, seeing what I had done to his comrade, he simply turned and fled.

While he was fleeing, though, another tank shot and killed that one.

Wait…did I just witness that tank being killed by its own friend?

Funny, I didn’t think these guys were fond of Order No. 227

As I investigated the source of the shot, I saw a KV-2 with a 107mm ZiS-6.

Remembering my last encounter with one at Malinovka, I took it slowly this time.

Unfortunately, at that range, my 152mm missed, so I ducked back behind the rocks and attempted to go around the other way.

When I got to the other side, I just waited some more seconds until the gun was reloaded, and then I drove out until I could see that KV-2.

Luckily, he was not pointing his gun in my direction, so I gave him another shot.

BOOM!!!

He wasn’t destroyed, but his tank appeared to have taken heavy damage, and his track was broken.

I took this opportunity to go back around to the other side.

With my gun loaded, I went to take him on again, but he spotted me and opened fire.

He only grazed my turret, so I returned fire and…

BOOM!!!

That was easier than my last engagement!

Moving on to the north side, I could only see two tanks taking up defense: An SU-85 tank destroyer, plus a KV-1 with an odd turret that resembled that of the T-34-85.

I took out the SU-85 first, then let the KV-1 come to me.

When it got closer, I opened fire…

BOOM!!!

I actually felt somewhat disappointed by that kill.

I mean, I once hit a KV-1 using my 152mm cannon back at Redshire, yet that one survived the hit.

What was wrong with this one?

Of course, rather than ask questions, I pressed forward.

Soon, I encountered what I thought was another KV, but this one was even weirder:

It had a lengthened chassis, a conical turret and a long-barreled cannon that might have been a 107mm.

I got another radio call:

“You dumb Stalinist, you have stifled our cause long enough! I’ll teach you a lesson about soiling the glory of Communism!”

I retorted: “Hey, I’m no Stalinist, but prepare to die just the same!”

“We will see about that!”

With a fresh round in the chamber, I fired at him.

Less than a second after I had hit him, he fired a round that missed me by a few centimeters.

My guess is that I shook his aim when I hit him.

I didn’t want to find out what he could do to me, so I retreated to another rock formation.

His next round hit my track just before I got into cover, but didn’t break it.

When the next round entered my chamber, I decided to let him come to me.

I heard him sneaking up behind me, so I tried to go around and get him in the back.

However, he too must’ve seen that trick because he went to back up when I went forward.

I tried backing away from him, but he followed my movements too well.

To stop him, I fired a round at his rear end, breaking his track.

Unfortunately, with the long reload time on the 152mm M-10, that meant he had plenty of time for a steady shot.

His next one hit me, and bad.

It was now or never.

When my cannon was loaded, I wasted no time in pointing it in his direction, and…

BOOM!!!

He was gone.

As usual, I took a couple of handbooks and checked the mystery tanks out.

The light tank that I kept intact was called a Valentine, a British-made tank with a 45mm cannon.

Like the Tetrarch, it also had one of those money printers one the inside of its turret.

The unknown medium tank with the T-28 type turret was a Matilda, also British in origin.

Curiously, it had a 76mm gun of Soviet design.

The rectangular-hulled heavy tank was also a British design, this one called a Churchill.

Though the Matilda and Churchill were destroyed, I also found that they had money printers inside the turrets.

Now, about those other heavy tanks.

The KV with the unusual turret was a KV-1S, also known as a KV-85, but it could mount other kinds of guns.

This one had thinner armor than usual, which must’ve explained why I killed it in one hit.

The KV with the longer chassis + conical turret was known as a KV-3.

The handbook said that it took a ZiS-6 as the gun, but that it could also be equipped with a 100mm D-10T or a 122mm D-2-5T.

Both of those sounded nasty.

I headed home, but as I headed home, I realized something about the British tanks:

There was once a program called the Lend-Lease Program where the Americans & British gave us some of their equipment.

That could only mean one other thing:

The British are coming.

But when?

Patzak #36 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 04:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 9264 battles
Loving the story so far! Just one question do you plan to add tanks tier 7 and higher? I would love to see him observe a maus from a distance in sheer horror as it decimates entire enemy formations!

floppytechie001 #37 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 09:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7964 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH

View Postmishasvin, on Apr 12 2012 - 04:32, said:

Loving the story so far! Just one question do you plan to add tanks tier 7 and higher? I would love to see him observe a maus from a distance in sheer horror as it decimates entire enemy formations!
yeah id like that too.I fancied him driving an IS7,bringing that devastating 130mm to bear,buttttttt,as alpha said,he isnt moving our hero up a tier anytime soon
:P
P.s-That KV3 driver must have been a noob,KV3 SUCKS at playing chicken from behind a rock :D

cheesellama #38 Posted Apr 12 2012 - 15:46

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
How about he makes a garage, and then he uses multiple tanks, such as the KV-3.

AlphaAndOmega #39 Posted Apr 13 2012 - 01:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postmishasvin, on Apr 12 2012 - 04:32, said:

Yep, tanks from the higher tiers will show up to challenge our hero!

View Postcheesellama, on Apr 12 2012 - 15:46, said:

How about he makes a garage, and then he uses multiple tanks, such as the KV-3.

Well, he did make an improvised garage in a mineshaft for his KV-2, but I doubt he'll have space for a second battle machine.

shokaku13 #40 Posted Apr 13 2012 - 01:55

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11974 battles
  • [YXSQ] YXSQ
As much as I love this story, I too feel like it would be better if the hero advanced to a higher tier tank...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users