View Postk9catforce, on Jul 07 2012 - 22:37, said:

heh, a turtle...

I like it! may I use it in my story?

Sure.

AlphaAndOmega #322 Posted Jul 13 2012 - 17:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
At long last, the wait is over! Now you folks can rejoice!

IN THE LAST EPISODE OF "WORLD OF TANKS CHRONICLES: THE STEEL SOLDIER"...

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 38: ON EITHER SIDE

I rushed to get to Goliath and started the engine.

However, a couple of Mice opened fire and destroyed Goliath.

Unfortunately, even my armored suit wasn’t enough to protect me from the blast.

As I lay there dying, I witnessed the Mice being blown up by a mysterious force…

Suddenly, I woke up!

I was back at my own hideout!

I was quite surprised!

Having woken up, I questioned just how many of the past few days’ events were real.

Jordan and his crew were real, I was sure, and I was pretty sure that the Maus was real despite it looking less practical than the KV-series tanks.

However, ever since that aircraft attack at the Steppes, things had been hazy.

I couldn’t be sure if events that had taken place since then were real at all.

However, I decided not to fuss over it and went back to sleep.

On second thought, maybe I should’ve just stayed awake because I had another one of those dreams about the mysterious shadowy figures.

Again, they made their demands clear:

“The key! We must have the key!”

While their demands were clear, the details were still murky.

Just what kind of key could they want?

Given the many locks in the world, I could search for my entire lifetime and not find this damn key.

I probably shouldn’t even be worrying about this.

I may need a break or something.

On second thought, perhaps the stress of going out into a strange land and not knowing what’s out there is getting to me.

Maybe I should go back to a place that I’ve already been to.

While I’m thinking of that, why not go somewhere I’ve already been that nevertheless still posed a risk to me?

I knew just the place:

Ruinberg.

When I woke up the next morning, I discovered that the TankPortal was still with me, so I knew that it was real.

After all checks were clear, I headed back to Ruinberg, the site of a major event in my career.

I was in luck: There was a battle that was just getting started!

From what I could see, the tanks were about equal to Goliath’s level: M4 Shermans, Panzer IVs, T-34s, AMX-13s, etc…

This didn’t appear to be a tank company battle, either.

In any case, I decided not to choose a side; I just fired at whoever came into my crosshairs.

At one point, I wrecked an M4A3E8, but the strange thing is, the crew actually got out alive.

I decided to ignore this anomaly and continue fighting.

At one point in the carnage, a T-34-85 struck Goliath, so we cranked the turret around to fire.

Just before we fired, the T-34 struck Goliath’s left track, but only damaged it.

We fired at it, and…

BOOM!!!

However, at that very moment, I caught something out of the corner out of my eye:

Anti-tank infantry with rocket launchers!

Without hesitation, one of my comrades opened fire with the hull-mounted DT machine gun while I tried spraying them with my PPSh-41.

A few guys managed to fire rockets before they were cut down, but none of them hit Goliath.

One of them did, however, hit a Terrible 29 that had just gone over a hill, damaging but not killing it.

It was about this time that Goliath was hit by a Panzer IV, which did no damage.

I was more interested in the Terrible 29, though.

It fired a shot at Goliath and damaged it pretty badly.

In the meantime, the Panzer IV was still firing at Goliath, and since all of these shots were bouncing, it was more annoying than dangerous.

Since I was more interested in that Terrible 29, though, I took aim at that, and…

BOOM!!!

Now, to work on that Panzer IV.

With rounds still bouncing harmlessly off of Goliath, I approached the Panzer IV and disposed of it with an anti-tank grenade.

Passing by a dead Tiger, I continued doing battle, tearing apart a VK 3001.

Eventually, the fire died down, so I figured that everyone else had been eliminated.

As I was driving away, though, I got the following radio call:

“Ah, there’s one I missed! Let’s finish this fight!”

Shortly after, I spotted a Tiger!

However, like the tanks of the SS panzer division “Walküre”, this one was also painted in a dull yellow color.

I stopped and attempted to sight in my cannon, but this guy was quicker on the draw and managed to hit me first.

Unfortunately, he ducked behind cover before I could sight in again.

I went into cover for a few seconds, too, and then drove back out hoping that the Tiger would, too.

However, after a few minutes, nothing happened.

I smelled a trap, so I turned around and went deeper into the city.

At another intersection, I spotted the Tiger again.

Since his gun was not aimed in my general direction, I took aim and fired…

BOOM!!!

The Tiger was not killed, but it was certainly damaged heavily.

The Tiger’s commander radioed me shortly after:

“That was such a hard hit! I never saw that coming! You may have damaged me badly, but I’m not out yet!”

I then got an idea:

“Listen, whoever you are, you have fought well! Since you have fought so well, I am offering you a truce. If you leave, then I agree to let you live. If not…well, your tank’s taken a lot of damage. It’s only going to take one more shell for me to destroy you!”

After a few seconds of thought, the Tiger’s commander replied: “I accept your truce, Soviet. You too have fought well! I only wish I could meet more people like you!”

“OK then. Enjoy your life, for it is a thing to be cherished!”

“You too! Auf wiedersehen!”

The Tiger limped away from the city.

As it drove away, I noticed the number “217” on its turret.

I reflected on what I had just said to this man.

I really wish I could enjoy life, but it may be too late for me.

Then again, maybe I really should cherish it while I can.

Thinking back on my career, I remembered moments such as the time I went into Norway and witnessed the beautiful landscape there.

The way I figured it, if I can appreciate moments like that, maybe life is worth enjoying even in this carnage-filled world.

Oh, and about that Tiger:

It wasn’t until later that I learned that the man I let go was one of Germany’s top tankers.

At first, I was pretty angry that I’d let such a prime opportunity slip through my fingers, but on the other hand, maybe I should be merciful and let a few tankers go, as long as they’re not with “W.G.”

In any case, I decided to head home, but there was one problem:

The TankPortal no longer worked!

My best guess is that it ran out of power.

Ah, I didn't need it anyways!

So, I just drove home the usual way.

1Shot1KillTiger205 #323 Posted Jul 14 2012 - 09:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4485 battles

View PostGeneral534, on Jul 13 2012 - 16:36, said:

Because my story isn't supposed to be humurous?

BTW nice job Cheesellama

i said amusment not humor but i was joking anyway so it doesn't matter

AlphaAndOmega #324 Posted Jul 14 2012 - 19:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 39: TEUTONIC TERRORISTS

I figured it was time to make another trip to Germany, this time, to the northern sector.

Here, I ended up in a small fishing village near the border of Denmark.

It was here that I also witnessed another strange event:

A German company of some sort was conducting some unusual rituals.

I got there just in time to witness a T-34 being blown up by them, not during combat, but as part of the rituals.

However, rather than disrupting the ceremonies, I decided to stay back and observe them for a while.

They appeared to be dressed shabbily, like barbarians, perhaps.

Aside from the dead T-34, they had quite a few Soviet tanks in their stocks.

Most prominently, they had an ISU-152 that was being used as some sort of shrine.

They were making random offerings to it and bowing before it as if it were some sort of god.

Hmmm…maybe they thought this ritual would protect them from destruction at the hands of the machine.

Other Soviet tanks they had were a KV-2 with 152mm, an SU-85, a T-34 with 76mm gun and a KV-1 with what appeared to be a German 75mm.

The KVs and the T-34 appeared to have additional commander’s cupolas installed.

The KV-2 also had an odd device attached to the rear, probably a rocket launcher or ammo rack.

Their SU-85 looked unmodified except for paint.

All other tanks were German: Tigers, Panzers, Panthers, etc…

This was a most peculiar company.

Despite the religious nature of the ceremonies, they were not the dark hooded figures I’d been looking for.

I was somewhat disappointed, but then again, considering the mind powers of the other folks, I was somewhat relieved, knowing that I wasn’t up against someone more powerful.

I continued to watch the ceremonies until I’d decided I’d had enough.

Once I did, I opened fire, choosing their KV-2 as my first target.

BOOM!!!

The explosion seemed bigger than usual, no doubt fueled by the device attached to the rear.

Of course, they were in a frenzy to get to their tanks, so I opened fire with one of the DT machine guns while the crew opened fire with another.

However, since we were further away from the other guys, we didn’t zap as many of their crewmen.

Oddly enough, nobody took control of the ISU-152.

Good for me, I suppose.

When the 152mm on Goliath reloaded, I took aim at a Tiger, damaging but not killing it.

So, I waited at the top of this hill and attempted to pick off any other tanks until it looked as if they were getting too close.

Having torn up a Panzer IV, I made tail for the main part of town in the east.

To any other tanker, this would’ve been absolute suicide against a whole group.

However, I came well-prepared for this.

I spent some time covering the entry points to the town with anti-tank mines.

However, as I was doing this, I encountered another unidentified vehicle, possibly a tank destroyer judging by the lack of turret.

Whatever it was, it proved small enough to run over.

I barely even finished setting mines before they started detonating.

Paying attention to which ones had gone off, I drove to a new spot and prepared for any enemies to drive on through.

Most were smart enough to turn away, but a T-25, Panzer III and KV-1 decided that they really wanted my blood, so they tried to push into the town.

In my opinion, the KV-1 was the biggest threat, so I blew it up first.

The explosion also damaged the other two, so I finished the T-25 off with an anti-tank grenade and waited for the 152mm cannon to reload as the Panzer III made a pathetic attempt at trying to kill me with its flak gun, and then toasted it when I was finished.

I waited around for others to try to enter the town, but after a Panther foolishly sacrificed itself, it appeared that they’d had enough with trying to catch me there.

After heading north, I caught a round from an SU-85 hiding in a bush, but Goliath didn’t take too much damage, so I simply finished it off and hid in another bush while the others looked for me.

A few moments later, a T-34 showed up, but I held my fire because I spotted a Tiger coming in afterwards.

I shut the engine off and waited.

When the Tiger was in suitable range, I fired a round and hit it.

However, this may not have been the same one I tagged earlier because it survived the 152 shell.

Having done that, I started up Goliath’s engine, backed off and threw down the last mine I had on the road beside the bush.

I drove away with the T-34 in pursuit.

A shot tagged Goliath’s turret, but didn’t do too much damage.

As I’d expected, the T-34’s pursuit of me was so determined that it didn’t notice the mine and got blown up.

Of course, I was in such a hurry to get away from the T-34 that I almost didn’t notice the Tiger.

I was a faster shot than it, so I blasted it and put it out of action.

I was going to press further, but when I spotted a Panzer III/IV coming in with the other Tiger, I decided to fall back.

Compounding the problem, there was an unseen opponent firing upon me.

Goliath took a couple more hits, but the old machine was still operable.

The Panzer III/IV tried to cut me off, so I destroyed it with a grenade.

The other Tiger soon caught up to me, at which time…

BOOM!!!

Only one more to go!

After a risky search, I finally located a JagdPanzer IV and wrecked it.

Now, who were these folks?

They were the Vandal-Visigothic Strike Force, a largely nomadic company, who, like their namesakes, just went around destroying and pillaging.

Though originally hailing from southern Germany, they headed up north when the southern regions were exhausted.

As we also witnessed earlier, when not ransacking the countryside, they also conducted pagan rituals.

Though they possessed captured enemy equipment, the only thing I hadn’t seen before was a TKS, which was actually a light tank of Polish origin and designated “Leichte Panzer TKS (p)” by the Germans.

Hmmm…I didn’t think the Germans placed much stock in the Polish equipment.

I know we didn’t, although we really liked the Polish armored trains.

Now, before going home, there was just one more concern:

I had to go back and deactivate any unused mines that I’d placed.

To do that, I hid Goliath and went out on foot looking for them.

The original design for these mines had no way to disarm them safely, so I’d incorporated a secret disarming switch on them for this sort of thing.

Once I collected all the mines, there was one more thing I had to do:

I took control of the ISU-152 and drove it off the pier in town, being sure to jump out before it went in the water.

When my job was done, I went back home to fix up Goliath.

General534 #325 Posted Jul 14 2012 - 22:27

Major

• Players
  • 1019 battles
Brilliant!

AlphaAndOmega #326 Posted Jul 16 2012 - 20:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF "WORLD OF TANKS CHRONICLES: THE STEEL SOLDIER"...

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 40: RED GLARE

I was feeling very good about myself by now.

Having smashed a number of Germans on their own soil, I decided that I was going to set my sights higher.

Much higher.

It was time for me to boldly go where none of us had gone before.

I was going to America.

To do this, I needed to pack heavily.

Since the journey was going to be very long, my packing efforts emphasized fuel and provisions more than ammunition.

I also knew this was going to be a risky move, considering that I was not the first one to have attacked America on its own turf.

The Atlantic Ocean was too heavily contested for me to attempt crossing, so I headed east, towards the Pacific Ocean instead.

I could have taken the Trans-Siberian Railway, but that would have been too risky because I didn’t know who was monitoring it.

I did, however, travel not too far from it, gathering additional fuel from depots along the way.

Now, let me tell you about the crossing:

Before the war, we had actually constructed a bridge across the Bering Strait in conjunction with the Americans.

I don’t know what the Americans called it, but we called it the “Soviet-American Friendship Bridge” in the Soviet Union.

However, the Americans would’ve seen me coming if I tried to cross that, plus, it might not even be strong enough to hold Goliath.

Instead, I headed over to Vladivostok to take a ferry.

You know, now that I think of it, something quite funny happened:

When I got near there, the land became quite peaceful, as if this war didn’t exist.

So, for the last part of my journey across the Soviet Union, I loaded Goliath onto a flatbed car and took the Trans-Siberian Railway to save fuel.

Nevertheless, I could still hear cannon fire in the distance when I came to Vladivostok.

When I came to Vladivostok, I noticed a bunch of people cheering me on for some reason.

I saw a GAZ-67 come to a halt in front of me.

I just barely managed to stop before I flattened it.

“What is the meaning of this?” I asked.

“Sorry about that, sir,” said the driver. “I apologize if I have the wrong person, but your superiors have heard many good things about you lately! They know all about your exploits and they want to thank you for your heroism despite the treasonous acts you’ve committed!”

“Really? What’s my reward?”

“They say that you are to be awarded Hero of the Soviet Union, that your rank is to be reinstated and that you are to be promoted!”

The Soviet Union’s highest honor?

Could it be true!?

Are my commanding officers still alive!?

Are they really giving this to me despite taking out other Soviet tankers?

Actually, I wasn’t so enthusiastic about it, given my dislike for Stalin, so I told the man: “I appreciate their offer, but I decline. Thanks anyways, I suppose!”

“Yes, very good! Goodbye, comrade!”

The GAZ-67 then drove away.

Despite my hero’s welcome, there was quite a commotion when I tried to commandeer the ferry.

Still, I got that done and continued on to America.

Just to be safe, I avoided any of the major ports and made a landing at an unoccupied beach.

If I was checking the map correctly, I had made landfall in a place called “Oregon”, which I knew little about.

Despite my limited knowledge of American geography, I made a concerted effort to avoid any high-traffic roadways or major metropolitan centers.

However, that meant I had to take an arduous route through a mountain range known as “The Cascade Range”.

Since I’d been through the Ural & Caucasus Mountains before, this wasn’t especially difficult except for a few points.

Eventually, I crossed the border into California, and soon, I had to be extra-careful when the forests became thinner.

Soon, I came to a coastal town known as “Live Oaks”, where I witnessed some American tanks conducting gunnery exercises.

Up to this point, unlike Europe, there appeared to be no major conflicts going on, so I guessed that what I thought was the apocalypse was probably just confined to one area of the globe.

Now, while I had the perfect element of surprise, they were too numerous for me to take on all by myself, so I took cover behind a few L-shaped buildings and scanned the group.

In their group, I saw a T1 Cunningham, a T40, some M24s, a couple of Easy Eights, an M10, an M36, a Hellcat, two Terrible 29s and a few unrecognized vehicles.

I definitely didn’t want to be taking on these guys without adequate surprise, even though most of their vehicles weren’t more advanced than Goliath.

Still, I took aim at an M24 and fired!

BOOM!!!

Target destroyed!

Rather than wait for the 152 to reload and get torn up in the process, I left the vicinity and headed for a nearby railroad bridge.

It was too risky to actually cross the bridge, so I crossed the stream that ran under the bridge, heading for a nearby bush.

As usual, I cranked the turret around and did my usual ritual of killing the engine, throwing on the camo net (leaving the gun uncovered, too) and trying to intercept their radio signals.

“…we’ll cover the north. Able Leader out.”

“Roger! Baker Leader out!”

“Charlie Leader out!”

A few moments later, I spotted a squad of four tanks heading in my direction, led by a Terrible 29.

They were just about to cross the bridge when…

“Baker Leader, this is Baker Three! There’s something by the water, over!”

They all stopped to have a look.

I just sat there, hoping that they wouldn’t notice.

“This Is Baker Two! I can’t see anything there, over!”

“This is Baker Four! All clear on my scope, over!”

“Baker Leader to Baker Three, that’s just a bunch of trees & bushes! Nothing to be worried about! All units, get moving, out!

Having not seen me, they proceeded to cross the bridge, which was a fatal mistake on their part.

I aimed the howitzer at a brick column that was holding up the bridge, and…

BOOM!!!

“Able Leader, this is Baker Leader…”

The bridge collapsed, putting all four tanks of Baker Squad out of action!

“Baker Leader, this is Able Leader! What’s going on!? Over!”

“Come in, Baker Leader!! All Baker, come in, over!!”

“Baker!!!!”

“This is Able Leader to Charlie Squad! Baker Squad has gone silent! Carry out an investigation in Sector K5! Able Leader out”

“This is Charlie Leader, we’re heading there now! Charlie Leader out!”

By this time, I had re-started my engine, so I took off the camo net and hid back behind the L-shaped buildings.

Eventually, I heard another message: “This is Charlie Four! Sir, something took out the bridge! Baker Squad’s been…”

BOOM!!!

I blew up the M24 that was once designated “Charlie Four”

However, not too long after he got there, the T1 Cunningham swooped in.

It was no trouble; all I had to do was run over it with Goliath.

I made as quick a retreat as I could into some bushes while I listened for further transmissions from Charlie Squad.

Eventually, I got the following exchange:

“Able Leader, this is Charlie Leader! Charlie Four & Five are dead! We still can’t see anything!”

“Roger that! I’ll give the order, then! Able Leader out!”

For the next few seconds, I heard nothing else from Able Leader, so I tried switching my radio frequency around, until…

“…evacuate the town, over!”

A few seconds later, I heard sirens going off, so that must’ve meant that the local authorities were evacuating the town, which was good for me because I didn’t want innocent people getting in my way while I was fighting these guys.

After that message, I got this one:

“This is Staff Sergeant Caruthers of the 41st Armored Company calling Redding Army Air Force Base! We’re under attack by enemy forces! Send reinforcements, I say again, send reinforcements, out!”

“This is Colonel Sanders of Redding Army Air Force Base! Reinforcements are on the way, out!”

Uh-oh, they’re on to me!

I didn’t know how much time I’d have left before reinforcements arrived, so I had to eliminate the others as quickly as possible, but without being too hasty.

Soon, the remnants of Charlie Squad showed up, consisting of an “Easy Eight” Sherman, an M36 “Jackson” and a Terrible 29.

I waited a few seconds, and then I targeted the M36 and blew it up.

Shortly afterwards, I learned I’d been spotted:

“Charlie Three to Charlie Leader, I think I found him! He got Charlie Two! I’m firing at him now, over!”

“Roger that! Charlie Leader moving to attack position, out!”

Charlie Three, the “Easy Eight”, got a first shot, but bounced off Goliath’s gun mantlet.

I retaliated by throwing an anti-tank grenade at him.

BOOM!!!

Charlie Leader then responded:

“Able Leader, this is Charlie Leader! My entire squad’s dead, but I’ve found the bastard who did it! I don’t know what it is, but it’s huge! It may be Russian! Whoever he is, I’m attacking him now, but I may need some backup!

Charlie Leader damaged Goliath, but I struck back with another anti-tank grenade, which only damaged the Terrible 29.

It seemed to be enough to put it out of action, though, because I saw the crew members (the live ones, anyways) bailing out.

Just for the heck of it, when Goliath’s 152mm howitzer was reloaded, I finished off the Terrible 29 after the crew had cleared the vehicle.

Now, it was just me and Able Squad.

However, I couldn’t stay down here any longer or I’d be crushed, so I moved north, towards the town.

I crossed the field where they’d been holding their gunnery exercises, but it was risky, so I went west and made use of whatever little foliage was available to me.

It wasn’t entirely easy, because partway through the field, someone was taking potshots at me:

“This is Able Three, I see him! He’s at Sector F1! Attacking now, over!”

I couldn’t see Able Three, so I just pushed Goliath’s engine as hard as it would go.

This guy landed quite a few shots, but I made it into town, but not before someone else caught up to me:

“This is Able Two, he’s entering the town! We got him now, over!”

“Roger that! Able Leader to all forces: ATTACK!! Able Leader out!”

Sure, under ordinary circumstances, I would’ve been surrounded, but as you know, I brought a few “tricks of the trade” with me.

First of all, I needed a place to hide Goliath in this town.

After a few seconds of searching, I found a garage.

Unfortunately, it was locked, so I blew the lock open with a burst from my PPSh-41.

Since the garage was empty, I simply drove Goliath in.

However, the roof of the turret scraped against the top of the door, but nothing on Goliath was damaged except the paint.

Besides, I figured the 41st wouldn’t notice.

Once Goliath was inside, I shut the garage door and began planting mines in the streets.

However, I heard some tanks approaching, so I ducked into a nearby bush.

Sure enough, a couple of them fell for the trap!

Despite this, that was all it took for them to fall back and leave the town.

When they left, I waited for them to come back, but after an hour, they still refused to come back.

At this point, I figured that they were just waiting to ambush me the moment I left town.

Didn’t matter to me; after all, they couldn’t have a lot of tanks left.

I picked up any mines that I came across, headed back for Goliath and started it back up.

By now, their leader was transmitting messages of this sort:

“All right, you Russki bastard, we have you surrounded! There’s no escape for you! Come out of there with your hands up! If you bring that tank of yours, we’ll destroy you!”

HA! I was not going to surrender that easily!

Instead, I smashed through the garage door and headed to the eastern part of town, figuring it was less open.

As soon as I went that way, though, I was fired upon by a strange tank that I hadn’t seen before.

It hit Goliath pretty badly, but Goliath hit it even worse, destroying it.

I kept heading east, but then I spotted another M24 coming at me on my right.

It attempted to circle me, but my gun had finished reloading, so after it circled and fired a couple of shots, I brought the hull and turret to bear, and…

BOOM!!!

AlphaAndOmega #327 Posted Jul 18 2012 - 04:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF "WORLD OF TANKS CHRONICLES: THE STEEL SOLDIER"...

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 41: BOMBS BURSTING IN AIR

Chaffee destroyed!

That wasn’t all, though, because I saw a shot fly past me and got this radio message:

“End of the line for you, kid! You may have toasted my men, but now, it’s time for you to get what you deserve!”

Rather than stopping to engage Able Leader, I kept going until I found a rail yard.

I took cover in the rail yard, hiding behind a building there.

In the meantime, I waited for Able Leader to come closer.

A few moments later, Able Leader emerged from the town.

His tank resembled a Terrible 29, but the turret looked different, smaller too.

In any case, I lined up my shot carefully, and…

BOOM!!!

Able Leader was still alive and taunted me over the radio:

“Good! Very good! I didn’t think you’d do that much damage! You’re still not gonna stop us, though!”

I backed away just as he fired a shot, which missed.

I waited for the cannon to reload, got the turret ready and lined up for another shot.

Unfortunately, I missed!

His next shot hit, but only bounced.

“Come on, give it up!” said Able Leader. “Do you even realize who you’re dealing with, punk!?”

I certainly did, but it made little difference to me.

I went back out and lined up another shot at him.

He was quicker on the draw than me and hit Goliath, damaging it quite badly.

I hit him again, but despite the massive damage, all he got was a broken track.

Then, when I backed into cover, he called me on the radio again:

“Hey…hey Russki, you speak English?”

“Yes,” I responded, “What do you want?”

Truth be told, I had become quite proficient at the English language lately.

However, a few things still evaded me, particularly slang, colloquialisms and technical jargon.

Anyways, Able Leader continued:

“Hey listen, I got a confession to make: I never really wanted to join the Army. See, the only reason I joined this outfit was because I accidentally sent a dirty letter to my mom that was meant for my sweetheart, so I’m just getting away until she forgets about the whole thing, see?”

“Er…OK…” I responded.

Personally, I thought this was a strange thing for him to tell me in the middle of battle.

While Soviet propaganda makers would have used this as some example of how Americans are stupid and promiscuous, it wasn’t that big of a deal to me, strange as it was.

Besides, I’m sure at least a few of my former comrades in the Soviet Army had done some strange things themselves.

Anyways, after that confession, I talked to Able Leader myself:

“Listen, uh...Staff Sergeant Caruthers…was it? You and your comrades have fought bravely here today! I truly admire you Americans! Now, I have a proposal to you: I shall let you live if you will let me go. Do you agree?”

At first, Able Leader laughed and responded: “Good one!!! You Russkies sure know how to make people laugh!!!!!”

However, a few seconds later, he stopped laughing and became serious:

“Now, you listen here! I’ve come too far just to let you go! See, I know what’s going on over there and I’m gonna put a stop to it, starting with you! Say your prayers, you bastard!”

I responded: “Please, can’t we talk this over like men? You have fought with unwavering endurance here today! I offer you a chance for life! Surely, a land like America would miss you, would it not?”

“No truce! Either you die or I die, and let me tell you, boy, I’m not goin’ anywhere! Whatever’s happening in your country is your fault, so I’m going in to set things right, starting with you, rabble-rouser!”

“WAIT!!! Don’t shoot!! Look, I didn’t want any of that to happen any more than you did! Believe me, I’ve been trying to stop that madness too! If you let me go, I promise I will never come back here again! Besides, you have sent for reinforcements, so I’m probably dead already!”

I got silence for a few seconds, but then he responded: “Well…all right. But if you don’t clean up over there, I’m going to come over there myself and tear you to pieces, got it!?”

“I understand! Do svidanya, comrade!”

“Uh…yeah! Same to you, pal!”

With that, my opponent drove away and went out of town.

In the meantime, I drove back towards the main part of town and did my usual investigative work.

Not only were these men part of the 41st Armored Company, but they were part of a secret group that called themselves “Patriot Company”.

According to a manifesto that I picked up from one of their crewmen, Patriot Company believed that the reason that the wars escalated on the other half of the world is because the others were lacking in “proper American values” and that the key to peace was to conquer every other nation.

Judging by their logs and by their combat performance, it didn’t seem like they’d had too much combat experience, though they seemed to have done well in training.

I disagreed completely with their manifesto.

First of all, I did not want to be conquered by the Americans, and second, stopping this madness wasn’t a simple matter of taking over the world and forcing people to behave a certain way.

On the other hand, these folks weren’t with W.G., so I suppose they were all right.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, only a few of their tanks were unrecognized, the first of these being a T20, a prototype medium tank that was apparently meant to replace the Sherman.

Another one was the T25/2, a tank destroyer based on the same chassis as the T20, but with a different drivetrain.

Oddly enough, their handbook mentioned another tank destroyer with the name “T25”, but that one had no turret.

Finally, Able Leader’s tank was a T32, a different version of the T29.

Naturally, I also called this one the “Terrible 32”.

Before leaving, I drove into town, deciding that I had enough time to take in the sights.

After hiding Goliath in a bush, I had a look around, and I must say, it was interesting.

On the one hand, there were a number of brick buildings in town that looked pretty worn, and there were some rickety-looking shacks, but on the other hand, there were plenty of nice houses, too.

The cars here were different, too: Bigger and shinier than what we had in the Soviet Union.

They looked like cars that were fit for kings.

On that subject, I caught sight of an unusual car: One that was boxier, lower and longer than usual.

After inspecting both the exterior & interior, I found that it was called a “Bel Air”, manufactured by a company called Chevrolet in 1972.

1972!?!?!??

This shouldn’t be real!!!!!

Again, while I didn’t know the exact year, I was certain, beyond all reasonable doubt, that it was not even the 1950’s, never mind the 1970’s.

According to a calendar I found in one house, the date was June 1944.

By my estimations, it had been two years since the Dark Times began.

Wow, I’m impressed that I’ve survived so long!!

But that still doesn’t answer the question: How did an automobile made in 1972 come to exist in 1944?

On second thought, it seemed stupid to me to try to ponder this, just as it would seem stupid to outsiders that such a thing could exist and the locals wouldn’t give it a second look.

Now, all this surviving had made me hungry, so I searched for a restaurant or another place to find food.

Luckily, I found one, and it appeared that people had been eating here when the town had been evacuated.

I sat down at the counter, where a plate with a partially-eaten sandwich of some sort awaited me.

I started eating it, and it was delicious!

I never tasted anything like this before!

After a bit of reading & guesswork, I found out that this particular creation was called a “hamburger”, and it was accompanied by a side dish known as “French fries” and a fizzy drink named “Coca Cola”.

Oh, if only we had this sort of food in the Soviet Union!

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed a good dish of borscht, and I didn’t mind cooking up random wildlife that I killed for survival, but I had yearned for something different, and this certainly filled the need!

Having filled this need, I took whatever random food items I could take and went back for Goliath.

However, just as I was about to leave the restaurant, I heard the sound of airplanes flying overhead.

Looking out the window, I saw that they were fighter planes.

Damn, those must be the reinforcements!

I waited until they flew away, then I got back to Goliath and started it up.

I had little trouble getting to the shore, where I found another ferry, so I loaded Goliath on and set sail for the Soviet Union.

Unfortunately, some of those fighter planes came back and spotted my ferry, opening fire with their machine guns.

The guns tore some holes through the deck, but failed to sink me or the ferry.

They also attempted to drop bombs, but very narrowly missed.

I had to do something!

Thinking quickly, I detached one of the DT machine guns from Goliath and used it as an anti-aircraft weapon.

I waited for one of the planes to turn around, and then opened fire, shooting it down.

I hit another one, but it was still flying.

I had also brought my PPSh-41 up on deck, so I used that in conjunction with the DT.

Another plane came in for a strafing run, but it too was shot down.

Two more to go!

During the battle, I thought I saw another ferry coming ashore through the crossfire.

Whoever was on that ferry had some real guts trying to come to a combat zone!

Anyways, the third fighter tried using its machine guns, but the bullets either missed me or dented my armor.

I managed to shoot this one down, too.

The fourth one wasn’t so easy to take down, though.

I missed it and it peppered the deck with more machine gun bullets.

On its next run, it struck the ferry with a bomb, starting a fire.

Quickly, I went over to where Goliath – still not destroyed – was parked and grabbed a fire extinguisher from it, putting out the flames.

Luckily, the ferry was still holding together, so I returned to take on the last fighter plane.

Once again, I let loose with my DT machine gun, and it was out of action.

For the rest of the journey, I played it cautiously, trying to stay as far away from Alaska as possible.

Despite all the commotion I had caused, no other planes or ships attacked me, so I reached Vladivostok and from there, made my way to my hideout.

Overall, America seemed to have problems of its own, but it certainly felt like a nicer place to live than the Soviet Union.

Maybe one day, I’ll get out of the Soviet Union and move there.

Of course, it may have to wait, since America has experienced another day that will live in infamy.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Regarding the burger and stuff, yes, I know that there was widespread rationing in America during World War II. However, according to my research, rationing was less severe in establishments that served military personnel, and given the military presence here, it seems plausible to me. Nevertheless, if you can find evidence disproving this sort of thing, just bring it to my attention and if the evidence is sound, then I shall make the necessary corrections!

ANOTHER NOTE: If you think the '72 Chevy is stupid and pointless, well, just wait! Anything in this story, no matter how silly, has an explanation and/or purpose, as we shall see!

k9catforce #328 Posted Jul 18 2012 - 05:52

Major

• Players
  • 4999 battles
  • [STEC] STEC
Now just wait til' your hero gets a taste of ice cream!

BTW, my crew is coming for you!

antiboy #329 Posted Jul 20 2012 - 06:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 1807 battles
Great!keep it up!

AlphaAndOmega #330 Posted Jul 20 2012 - 06:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 42: THE LINEUP

After having another one of those dreams about the shadowy figures, I decided I’d had all I could take.

There had to be some way to stop this torture!

But how?

I took some time to reflect upon the circumstances of my situation.

After half an hour’s worth of thought, I realized something:

Before I got that safe at Malinovka, I hadn’t been having any of those dreams, so maybe it had something to do with the safe.

Or maybe I had a run of bad luck when I gave that card to the T-34 commander.

Actually, after a little more thinking, I decided that the card was unlikely to have caused me any frustration like this, so it must be the safe.

But what about the safe, then?

Not long after, it hit me:

The black diamond!

It must be cursed!

This thing had to be some sort of priceless artifact, so I decided that I had to return it to its rightful owner.

After more thinking, I realized that I had absolutely no idea, not even a single clue, of who the owner of this diamond was.

Then, I had an idea:

Rather than try to return it, I was going to pass the curse on to somebody else!

So, when I was ready, I took another trip to Germany.

This time, I flanked around the south and tried entering through the west, which meant I had to penetrate the infamous Siegfried Line.

When I got there, though, I witnessed a battle going on already.

The whole setup reminded me of Egypt, with a French company taking on a German company.

The Germans, whoever they were, didn’t appear to have anything I hadn’t seen before, but the French had a few new toys with them in addition to AMX light tanks, BDR & ARL heavy tanks and some other typical French machines.

Just like Egypt, though, I stayed in the shadows and let them blow each other to pieces.

Eventually, when the smoke cleared, it was the Germans who had triumphed.

Of course, I didn’t think they’d be in such good shape after this battle, so I went in there to clean up with them.

It wasn’t easy, though, because a JagdPanther had spotted me and opened fire.

While he did damage me, I also blew him up easily, owing to its condition.

After obliterating the JagdPanther, I broke through the line itself and pressed through the town.

However, I was being fired upon by artillery, so I had to take care of that, too.

I soon found a Hummel, so I destroyed it.

Before I could go any further, though, I got a radio call:

“HALT, RUSSLANDER! Do not move any further! Turn back now or we will destroy you!”

I simply replied, “Go ahead! I’m probably dead anyways!”

In any case, I went behind a building for cover.

A few seconds later, I saw a Tiger II emerge from behind another building.

I took aim at it and fired, but the tank survived the hit.

Naturally, it returned fire, but it only clipped my track as I was backing in, though the track remained together.

Having reloaded, I drove back out of cover only to find that the Tiger II had the guts to approach my position.

I was quicker on the draw than it, though, so I destroyed it.

Once again, to the victor go the spoils, the spoils in this case being additional resources plus knowledge of my opponents.

The French tankers here belonged to “La Brigade Charlemagne”, who believed that the Dark Times actually began many years prior to this World War, more specifically, during the French Revolution.

Ergo, they believed that the only way to restore order was to return France to a monarchy and to conquer a few more territories.

Needless to say, I thought that was a bunch of bull.

However contemptible the idea was, they meant business, judging by their new toys.

One of these was an AMX-13 F3 AM, an SPG based on the AMX-13 chassis.

The AMX light tanks were annoying enough, but mounting an artillery gun on one had to be hell for anyone engaged with one.

Aside from their S35 CA, they had another tank destroyer: The ARL V 39, which looked like a modified Char B1 or BDR G1B chassis with a typical forward-mounted cannon.

They also had another new SPG: The Lorraine 155 mod. 50, based on a chassis that I’d never seen before.

Speaking of Lorraine, that was also the name of a 40-ton medium tank, which had an autoloader cannon similar to what the AMX light tanks had.

Actually, the 155 mod. 50 shared the same chassis as this one.

The fact that the Lorraine 40t had an autoloader was bad enough, but there was also an AMX-series heavy tank called the AMX-50 with a 100mm autoloader cannon.

Judging by the layout of the chassis & the components utilized, it appeared that they’d taken influence from the Germans when constructing this machine.

Speaking of the Germans, the particular company that was defending the Siegfried Line was one of the infamous SS panzer divisions, “Reinhard Heydrich”.

Reinhard Heydrich had founded an organization called the “Sichereitsdienst”, or “SD” for short, and was also “Obergruppenführer” of the SS prior to his assassination in 1942.

Now that I think of it, he was assassinated shortly before the collapse of order, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Probably not, but I’m not counting out the possibility.

Despite the breakdown of order, the SS panzer division “Reinhard Heydrich” remained loyal to Nazi Germany and was primarily interested in defending all of its remaining possessions as if they still mattered.

According to one letter I found, they also shared a connection:

“Herr Müller,

Our attempt to take back the city of Donnerberg has failed. Contrary to our intelligence reports, we encountered a heavily-armed Russian tank division here. Despite our element of surprise and our superior speed, the Russians destroyed every one of our tanks and left only a few survivors.

Since we now know that the Russians have acquired superior technology, we feel that it would be in both of our best interests if you would get us more powerful battle machines. We have tried to acquire these ourselves, but we have only come across non-functioning ones or ones that are in the hands of hostile forces. If you can get some for us, I assure you that we won’t disappoint you.

Thank you for reading this letter. It has been an honor serving with you.

-Mit Deutschem Gruß,
Oberst Dieter Kandler,
The Blitzkrieg Boys”

Hmmm…looks like I’ll be doing another round against them.

You know, I never thought I’d be saying this, but for once, I’m actually glad that the Germans won.

Given the way the new French tanks were equipped, I would’ve been screwed if I attempted to take on “La Brigade Charlemagne” by myself.

On the other hand, they appeared to have weak armor, judging by the data contained in the handbooks.

After I was all done here, I did whatever repairs I could for Goliath and pressed further behind enemy lines.

Thenoob1234 #331 Posted Jul 21 2012 - 06:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15723 battles
  • [AOG2] AOG2
Ah... another great Chronicle. I'm surprised you can produce these so fast. I only write when I want to, and a short chapter normally takes 1 or even 2 hours.

I can't wait till he finds a 13 90. I hated them when I was in my KV-2, let's see if he does too...

antiboy #332 Posted Jul 24 2012 - 00:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 1807 battles
Great stuff here.Do more.Gotta reviver this.

TPpower #333 Posted Jul 25 2012 - 08:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31727 battles
wtf a 72, i didnt know they made bel airs in 72,55 through 59 i think

AlphaAndOmega #334 Posted Jul 25 2012 - 16:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View PostThenoob1234, on Jul 21 2012 - 06:29, said:

Ah... another great Chronicle. I'm surprised you can produce these so fast. I only write when I want to, and a short chapter normally takes 1 or even 2 hours.
I can't wait till he finds a 13 90. I hated them when I was in my KV-2, let's see if he does too...

Well, he's already encountered a few 13/90s. There was one in Chapter 18, but that one was destroyed by another tank before it saw him. He also destroyed one in Chapter 37.

View PostTPpower, on Jul 25 2012 - 08:20, said:

wtf a 72, i didnt know they made bel airs in 72,55 through 59 i think

They continued manufacturing these until 1975 (1981 for Canada).

When the Impala was introduced in 1958, the Bel Air became the mid-range offering in Chevy's full-size lineup. Then, when the Caprice came out in '65, the Bel Air became a more budget-oriented car, just one step above the Biscayne. Finally, when the Biscayne was dropped after '72 ('75 for Canada), the Bel Air remained as an entry-level car until it was discontinued.

TPpower #335 Posted Jul 25 2012 - 17:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31727 battles
no need to neg me but what ev,dang forum trolls,thx i didnt know that

AlphaAndOmega #336 Posted Aug 02 2012 - 04:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I'll be taking a little break so that some of the other guys can catch up, but I'll be back with some of the most epic chapters of this saga!

k9catforce #337 Posted Aug 11 2012 - 20:02

Major

• Players
  • 4999 battles
  • [STEC] STEC
You have started a great phenomenon among the fan art forums.... I see 2 new "WoT Chronicles"

AlphaAndOmega #338 Posted Sep 03 2012 - 23:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
I'm back! And I hope you enjoy this new chapter!

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 43: THE GREAT CITY OF THE SKY

After penetrating the Siegfried Line, I continued on, eventually reaching the city of Himmelsdorf.

Here, I started getting chills up my spine, but I breathed a sigh of relief as I spotted a mere Panzer IV.

However, this was an odd variant of the Panzer IV with some sort of protruding plates attached to its turret.

Whatever this variant was, it was no more difficult to destroy than an ordinary Panzer IV.

Shortly after I got the Panzer IV, I saw a corpse of an IS-3.

It was at this moment that I realized EXACTLY why this city gave me the chills, and at this moment, my heart sank.

I’d heard many legends about this city, some of which I now knew to be true, others I wasn’t so sure of.

For one, I heard that despite Allied bombing raids, the city refused to fall, which reminded me of the London Blitz.

Made sense, considering how many buildings here were blown to pieces.

Another one I heard, and probably more frightening was this:

Few tank companies were able to penetrate the Siegfried Line or the less well-known “Ostwall”, and of those that did, none of them ever came back when they came to this city.

After all, if something existed that could actually kill an IS-3 so easily, then how would Goliath fare?

Quickly, I looked around for a good spot to set up.

Suddenly, my eyes spotted a hill with a castle upon it.

That looked perfect!

While heading for the hill, I was attacked by a VK 3001!

Luckily, Goliath’s 152 put it out of action.

However, I came across a VK 3601 shortly afterwards, so I had to wait to reload.

In this city, with these circumstances, though, I didn’t want to be caught by another tank while waiting to reload.

Luckily, the gun was reloaded with no trouble, so I drove out of cover and…

BOOM!!!

Another bad guy destroyed!

I continued climbing up the hill, when all of a sudden, a Panther snuck on me!

Only, this one had pathetic firepower for a Panther.

In fact, the turret was small for a Panther turret.

Regardless, because the M-10 had not fully loaded yet, I had to dispose of my foe using an anti-tank grenade.

At the top of the hill, I encountered no other enemies, but knowing that the worst was yet ahead of me, I parked Goliath in a bush next to the castle and shut the engine off.

I exited the tank, taking my PPSh-41 and the black diamond with me and concealing my friend with the camo net.

For the next phase of the plan, I entered the castle and went up about two floors.

Here, I waited.

After a few minutes, I saw a Löwe coming up the hill from the north.

At the top of the hill, it turned onto the grassy patch where Goliath & the castle were located.

I was afraid that they would stop and hurt Goliath, but they simply continued on.

When the time was right, I jumped out a window and landed on the tank.

I opened up the hatch and said to the crew, “Hey guys, I like your tank!”

“Achtung!” exclaimed the commander. “What is the meaning of this!??!”

“Well, I like your tank, so I want you to give it to me!”

“Nein! You must be crazy to think that!”

“Come on, please give me your tank!”

“NEIN!! Go away, you Soviet idiot!”

I presented the diamond to them.

“Here, I’ll trade you this diamond for your tank!”

The commander and the others pulled their pistols on me.

“Go away!” demanded the commander. “We are not interested in your shiny rock!”

“Come on, take it!” I pleaded.

“I said, we are not taking that stupid thing! Go away or you will be shot!”

“Please, take the diamond! I promise you, you can get an even better tank with it!”

“You have three seconds to leave us or we will shoot you!”

At this point, I brought my PPSh-41 to the ready.

“Come on, I could pump all your guts full of lead right now! Take the diamond or you’re gonna get it!” I threatened.

“THAT’S IT!” shouted the commander.

The crewmen all fired some bullets, but they bounced.

I shot one of them in the arm as a warning.

“TAKE THE DIAMOND RIGHT NOW OR I’LL SHOOT YOU ALL IN THE HEAD!!!!”

The crew complied.

The commander took the diamond and left the tank along with the rest of the crewmen, one of whom was carrying a medical kit.

In the meantime, I took control of the Löwe.

Again, it felt pretty weird compared to Goliath, but the controls were at least somewhat similar to the Panzer IV’s.

Having driven a few kinds of tanks, though, I can safely say that there are a few constants when it comes to tank controls, so that certainly helped.

Once the Löwe was in my possession, I planted anti-tank mines at all possible entry points to the hill, making sure that the Löwe was away from the entry points, though.

Since I had the element of surprise, I chose to head to the north end of the city.

The Löwe seemed to go about as fast as the KV-3, though I think acceleration was a bit worse, barring the downhill speed boost, of course.

At the bottom of the hill, I spotted a GwPanther.

Though I was confident that the Löwe’s cannon could lay waste to the GwPanther, I decided to ram it in addition to firing a shot.

Naturally, the GwPanther blew up quite nicely.

Now that I think of it, I shouldn’t have to worry about artillery in this city because it’s almost useless.
Suddenly, I got a radio call:

“Red Four, this is Red Leader, why are you late with your status report!? Over!”

Trying the best I could, I told him: “This is Red Four, sorry I could not respond! My vehicle had some mechanical trouble, over!”

He responded: “Red Four, your voice sounds funny. What’s going on? Over!”

“Sorry sir, my voice has become worn out from stress, over!”

“OK then, just take it easy! Red Leader out!”

“Red Four out!”

Whew, that was a close call!

In the meantime, I sighted a VK 2801 and fired at it.

“Help, this is Blue Three, I’m under attack at the north side!! Over!”

“Blue Three, this is Blue Leader, identify your assailant! Over!

“It’s one of…”

BOOM!!!

“Blue Three, what happened!?!?”

“Blue Three, respond!!!”

“We’ve lost contact with Blue Three. Backup units, check it out now!”

“Roger, this is Gold Leader, my team will be coming along as backup! Gold Leader out!”

“Copy that. Blue Leader out.”

I pressed on, going to the west side of the city, where I spotted an unknown SPG in a rail yard.

Whatever it was, it was HUGE.

It was also quite far away from me, so I figured that if I could engage it now, then I could destroy it without fear of reprisal.

I took aim at the thing and fired.

Naturally, I hit it.

The Löwe’s 105mm cannon appeared to have similar damage and penetration characteristics as the KV-3’s cannon, but it seemed to be a bit more accurate, too.

However, powerful as it was, it couldn’t kill the artillery gun.

“This is Red Five”, said its commander, “I’m under attack! Attempting to locate assailant, over!”

However, it couldn’t locate me before I destroyed it.

I kept going, when…

“Blue Leader, this is Gold Leader, I’ve spotted the attacker…oh no, it’s one of our own!!! Alarm, ALARM!!!!!!! All personnel, Red Four has gone mad!!!! He is attempting to eliminate us and he’s attacking me now!! Over!”

“Understood. This is Red Leader, all units on maximum alert! Don’t let the traitor get away! Red Leader out!”

“Roger, Gold Leader out!”

“Confirmed, Blue Leader out!”

I continued my firefight with Gold Leader, a VK 3002, until…

BOOM!!!

Vehicle destroyed!

That wasn’t all, though, as I had to deal with an incoming VK 3001 and a VK 3601.

The VK 3601 was quite worrying to me because of its rapid firing rate and its ability to penetrate the Löwe.

However, even though a few shots missed my body by a few centimeters, they were otherwise doing little actual damage to the Löwe.

In contrast, the 105mm KwK 46 of the Löwe was tearing the VK 3601 apart.

The VK 3001 tried to charge at me and interfere, but I wasted it with an anti-tank grenade.

In the meantime, I defeated the VK 3601and proceeded further into the city.

When I got into the city itself, I was attacked by a heavy tank of an unknown design.

Based on my judgment, the hull appeared to be a Porsche-type with the slack tracks and the turret looked almost the same as a Tiger II turret.

Maybe this was a new tank in the Tiger series?

Whatever it was, the first shot I fired at it bounced off.

However, it fired a shot at me and damaged my tank.

We both backed into cover.

After I backed in, about a second later, I made a risky move and charged right back out.

I had decided to flank the bastard.

I proceeded down the street and turned left into a central courtyard, where my “friend” was still expecting me to cross his path from the front.

I took aim at his turret and hit him hard, then backed into cover.

Naturally, whoever was piloting that mystery tank came for me.

I tried moving to a different position, but the slow acceleration of the Löwe hampered my ability to do that, so I stopped trying.

Besides, whatever tank I was facing had better acceleration than me.

I turned around to face it, but it damaged the Löwe in the process.

Still, I took aim at his commander’s cupola and blew that open.

His next shot bounced off my tank.

Next, I hit the MG mount on the hull, causing a shower of smoke and flames to emerge from the tank.
The crew (or whoever was left of them) bailed out and ran.

A few seconds later…

BOOM!!!

They’re knocked out!

Having scrapped another one of their tanks, I kept going.

Proceeding through the alley on the west side, I turned a corner and found another unknown tank heading away from me.

This one looked like a Tiger II with a Panther II turret.

I took aim at it and fired, slicing its track, after which I quickly backed off.

“Red Two to Red Leader, we’re immobilized! No sign of our target yet! Over!”

“Red Two, just hold your position! I am closing in! Red Leader out!”

“Copy, Red Two out!”

I gave the unknown tank a few seconds of mercy before driving back out again.

However, when I drove back out, the tank had disappeared!!

How did that happen!?

Did they get their track fixed in such a short order?

In any case, I pressed on and got another radio call:

“Red Four – if that truly is you – you have interfered with us long enough! These things cost us a lot of time and resources, and now it is time for you to pay that price!”

I responded: “I was just giving you some payback, you bully! Nobody breaks into my home turf and gets away with it!”

“Oh, but we are only researchers! We don’t invade other peoples’ lands; we just give weapons to those who do!”

I decided not to continue talking to him and instead decided to concentrate on battle.

It was less than a minute later that I spotted Red Leader, who was driving a Tiger II…or, actually…something.

This one was different somehow, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it; I just knew it was different.
Anyways, I took aim at him and fired.

Unfortunately, that one bounced off, and he hurt the Löwe pretty badly.

However, my next shot went right through his lower glacis.

His next shot also hit me hard, but I was still okay…for now.

I struck his gun mantlet next, but I don’t think I damaged him at all.

For his next shot…

BOOM!!!

That was the end of the Löwe!

Naturally, thinking me dead, he turned around and left.

Of course, just like before, I hopped out and lobbed an anti-tank grenade with all my strength.

The grenade hit the tank and damaged it, but it was still going, and that guy was angry now!

I ran for my life, taking numerous shortcuts and hoping to get back to Goliath before I was caught.

I was also worried about what happened to that Panther-like tank, so I ran in the hopes that neither would catch me.

Eventually, after running for what seemed like miles, I made it back to Goliath, and I was tired!

Nevertheless, I had enough strength and coordination left to control it.

By now, I got another message from Red Leader:

“Whoever you are, you can run, but you will only die tired! Now come back here and die honorably!”

I spotted him at the southern hill.

I took aim with the 152 and hit it dead on.

However, it was still alive, and it damaged Goliath.

Another hit like that, and I was done for!

I backed away to cover, but then…

BOOM!!!

That guy ran over some mines and blew up!

For the first time, somebody had gone into Himmelsdorf and lived to tell about it!

I had never felt so invigorated before!

In my state of invigoration, though, I never forgot to investigate my conquered foes.

They were another SS panzer division, the SS panzer division “Wunderwaffen”, one of the most elite SS divisions in Nazi Germany.

These guys were responsible for testing out secret tank projects of Adolf Hitler, and even when things got out of hand, they just kept developing new and more fearsome machines.

We already know the “VK 3” series of medium tanks, but I hadn’t seen their kind of Panzer IV up until now.

This one was actually a Panzer IV “Hydro”, a variant with – if I understood correctly – a special drive system where the drive sprockets were connected to two oil pumps powered by the tank’s engine.

Moving on to artillery, they had an artillery gun mounted on a Tiger II chassis, called the “Geschutzwagen Tiger”.

It could be fitted with either a 170mm cannon or a fearsome-sounding 210mm mortar, but thankfully for me, the specimen they possessed had the 170.

As for heavy tanks, their Porsche-designed heavy tank had the designation “VK 4502”.

This one could be equipped with two kinds of 88mm guns, or – as this specimen was – a 105mm gun that was shorter than the one on the Löwe.

This one was also odd because unlike most German tanks, it was powered by a Deutz-designed diesel engine…well…two, actually.

What really caught my attention, however, was a new medium tank and new heavy tank, respectively named the “E-50” and “E-75”.

These were part of a new series of tanks called the “Entwicklung” series, which appeared to be an attempt at making a new series of standardized tanks with common components.

I never saw any of the E-5, E-10 or E-25 class vehicles in combat before, though I did see a resemblance between one of the E-10 JagdPanzers and the Hetzer, so I nicknamed the new tank destroyer the “Super Hetzer”.

Of course, as I mentioned, there was also the E-50 medium tank and the E-75 heavy tank, which appeared to share the same hull, but the E-75 had better armor.

Terrifyingly enough, the E-75 could mount a 128mm KwK 44 L/55, but thankfully for me, their specimen only had a 105mm KwK 46 L/68.

The handbook mentioned an “E-100”, but since there was no info apart from a single mention, I was inclined to believe it was a fake,

On the other hand, the IS-3 turned out to be real even when I thought it was a fake.

Well, look at me! I stood there and I seriously believed I could take on all this with a 152mm howitzer!

So far, I must have been very lucky, but then I remembered all the neat little tricks I’d kept up my sleeves since my career began.

Luck or not, I decided it was time to head home, so I deactivated all my unused mines and put them away.

There was just one more thing, though:

I had kept a Soviet flag in my tank as a good luck charm, but now, having conquered the city of Himmelsdorf, I took the flag and hung it up on the castle overlooking the town!

After that, I started up Goliath and started heading home, when suddenly, I spotted an enemy Leichttraktor!

How did I not see him!?
It wasn’t a huge matter, though, because I ran over and crushed it like all the other Tier I tanks.
Why did these guys even have something so useless in their ranks!?
Did they run short on vehicles?

Or maybe they didn’t care about vehicle tiers so long as they had a prototype to test.

Anyways, just when I was running over the Leichttraktor, I got a call from a familiar voice:

“Oh hey, Steel! I was wondering where you’d been!”

It was Jordan!

I saw him coming around the corner with his Maus, completely intact.

“Hello again, Jordan!” I said. “My, it’s been a long time, hasn’t it? I’ve been to some very interesting places while you were gone!”

“Wow! I can’t wait to hear about it!” he replied. “By the way, thanks for liberating the city! You forgot an E-50, so I took care of…OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!?!?!??!?”

“Jordan, what’s wrong!?” I asked. “What have I done?”

“You just killed some of my best agents!!!!!!”

Best agents?

At this point, I realized he must have seen the pancaked Leichttraktor.

“Um…oops?” I replied.

“Oops!?” he exclaimed. “Not only that, but you also compromised an important investigation that we’ve been working on for months!!!!!!”

“Jordan, I’m sorry,” I replied. “I had no way of knowing how important a Tier One tank could be! If there’s anything I can do to help your investigation out, then I shall certainly try! Besides, I have a feeling that you & I were investigating the same thing!”

“Maybe it was an accident, but that doesn’t change much! Steel, please get out of this city!”

“Don’t take this too hard, my friend! I was just about ready to go, anyways!”

“Good, then leave!”

“OK!! Best of luck to you…I guess…”

All of a sudden, I was not so elated anymore.

I couldn’t believe I’d wiped out such an important investigation.

Even worse, I’ve alienated one of the few people who’d actually cared about me in the Dark Times.

Still, I held no malice towards him.

Maybe he will pick up the pieces and get over this eventually.

After all, like I said before, maybe he was also investigating “W.G.”

Having done so much today, I went home and just relaxed, knowing that I wasn’t going to be bothered by those bad dreams anymore.

cheesellama #339 Posted Sep 03 2012 - 23:49

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles

View PostAlphaAndOmega, on Jul 18 2012 - 04:11, said:

Spoiler                     

But... Live Oaks is in Texas.... :Smile-hiding:

AlphaAndOmega #340 Posted Sep 04 2012 - 00:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postcheesellama, on Sep 03 2012 - 23:49, said:

But... Live Oaks is in Texas.... :Smile-hiding:

It is? According to what I read somewhere on this site, Live Oaks was originally going to be called "Kansas", so I am led to believe that it could be there.

Also, I've found little to no evidence of any town in America called "Live Oaks". However, I did find more than one town called "Live Oak", including two in California, so that's whiy I picked it. Then again, this story is not really meant to be pinpoint-accurate, so there will be accuracy issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users