World of Tanks Chronicles: The Steel Soldier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
391 replies to this topic

AlphaAndOmega #41 Posted Apr 13 2012 - 02:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
I understand your concerns. I mean, there are plenty of big, bad armored machines in the game that pack a meaner punch than even this thing, with better armor and maneuverability to boot. However, our hero has sufficient ingenuity and cunning to excel with Goliath.

shokaku13 #42 Posted Apr 13 2012 - 02:33

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11974 battles
  • [YXSQ] YXSQ
Well, as long as you can keep it interesting and as good as it is with only Goliath, then that's fine with me...

AlphaAndOmega #43 Posted Apr 14 2012 - 19:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
IN THE LAST CHAPTER OF "WORLD OF TANKS CHRONICLES: THE STEEL SOLDIER"...

Spoiler

CHAPTER 16: SAFE KEEPING

After extensive repairs and maintenance, Goliath was ready to go once again.

For some strange reason, though, I felt compelled to go back to Malinovka.

Don’t ask me why.

All I know is that some strange force was calling me back there.

When I got there, I encountered a team driving a variety of tanks: M4 Shermans, Panzer IIIs, AMX-40s, T-34s, etc…

Nothing I hadn’t seen before.

These guys weren’t even part of a company.

Just some unwashed masses with no aim except to blow up whosoever should cross them.

Considering how tough the last battle was, I needed some easy pickings.

However, I knew that these guys were more dangerous than the Farmers’ Brigade, so rather than taking them head-on, I chose to go up the hill and flank them.

Unfortunately, Goliath’s speed was greatly reduced uphill, and I was afraid that if I pushed it any harder, then its engine would blow up.

Still, it was faster than my MS-1 would’ve gone.

Going uphill, I discovered that a T-34 had the same idea as me.

Naturally, I took aim and…

BOOM!!!

He was history.

Going downhill, I had the advantage of heavy weight, so while I was waiting for the gun to be reloaded, I used Goliath’s weight to smash an M4 Sherman.

While I was flanking, I noticed that in the field, a few other tanks had come to join the battle.

Like my current foes, they too had no company affiliations, or if they did, then I couldn’t tell by their tanks or their tank operating skill.

For the most part, it appeared that my opponents had chosen to focus on the main battlefield.

Another exception to this was a Panzer III.

He fired, but only did minimal damage.

I, on the other hand, did critical damage, putting another tank out of commission.

Rather than try to take on my opponents after flanking them, I decided to hide in the foliage, waiting as their ranks thinned out.

When their numbers began to lessen, I opened fire & took out another tank.

The strain of coping with two different foes took its toll on this team, and naturally, they were defeated.

I drove over to inspect my kills, when I noticed something:

In a destroyed house on their side of the field, there was a container of some sort.

When I got out of my tank for a closer look, it turned out to be a safe.

It wasn’t a big safe, but it was just large enough for what I needed it for.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I had increased strength from wearing armor all the time, and despite the fact that I could lift it over my head, I couldn’t fit it in the turret, so I ended up just tying it down on the back of Goliath.

Just as I was about to leave, a T-34-85 from the other team showed up.

The tank stopped and the commander got out.

“Hey comrade, that was some nice work you did there!” he said.

“Thanks,” I responded.

“And where did you get that suit of armor?”

“Made it myself.”

“Really? How impressive! How would you like to join us? We could do some great things together!”

“I’d love to, but I really must be moving on.”

“Well, that’s unfortunate, but if you insist, then I understand.”

The commander was about to get back into his tank when I stopped him…

“Wait! Before you go, I want you to have something!”

“Yes?”

“Here, take my card!”

I handed him a playing card with the Ace of Diamonds on it.

Don’t ask where I got it; even I’ve forgotten why I’ve been carrying it around.

The commander must’ve had a sense of humor, because he laughed at it and told me, “Very nice, comrade!”

I replied, “I’m glad you enjoy it. See you later, and I hope you won’t forget me!”

“It’s no problem! It was nice to fight alongside you!”

With that, we parted ways.

Back at my hideout, I unloaded the safe and tried to open it.

I tried a random combination:

“8…13…10…”

CLUNK!

The safe wouldn’t open.

I knew that a simple safe such as this couldn’t have more than three numbers in its combination, so I settled on trying combinations of that length.

For the next few days, instead of going out into the battlefield, I stayed home and attempted to crack the safe.

And for the next few days, I had to contend with many wrong combinations.

Luckily, I wrote down every combination that I tried in case I hit a correct combination.

It was frustrating, but I kept going.

“4…12…11…”

CLINK!

The safe opened!

There wasn’t much inside it, just 100,000 rubles and a large black diamond.

I would’ve been enthusiastic to receive such a gift back in the old days, but in this world, money was practically worthless.

Still, I was intrigued by the black diamond.

I didn’t feel like investigating it at this moment because I’d spent so much time trying to crack this safe and I was pretty fatigued.

Instead, I just took my custom tank handbook and placed it underneath the money.

I also placed the letter from “W.G.” in there.

At the moment, the book and letter was more valuable, but you could probably have guessed that already.

Satisfied, I closed the safe and went to bed.

cheesellama #44 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 02:36

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
lol.

What was that anyway? CW?

AlphaAndOmega #45 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 23:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
C.W.?

If you mean clan war, well...not exactly. Though as I've said before, companymen often join regular tankers in battle.

AlphaAndOmega #46 Posted Apr 18 2012 - 00:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 17: GETAWAY

I was all ready to go for another battle.

I started up Goliath and headed to…Prokhorovka?

Something was wrong here.

Don’t ask me why, but that same force that compelled me to go back to Malinovka also compelled me to go back here.

Nevertheless, I went along with it.

After all, I was not one to back away from a challenge, no matter how much strain it would put on me or my tank.

Alas, when I got here, there was hardly any challenge to be found, just the same unwashed masses that I had encountered at Malinovka and elsewhere.

Goliath and I got out of this challenge okay.

The only issue we had was with another SPG, an American contraption called an M7 “Priest”.

Suddenly, I remembered seeing one back at that pass in the Ural Mountains where I had fought the Armored Shadows.

Unlike Ensk, though, Goliath got it before it got Goliath.

I just can’t figure those things out.

I mean, I understand that enemy tanks are able to relay my position to these things if they can see me, but there have been instances where they could see me without the aid of spotters.

It’s like I said before, they may well have a “sixth sense”.

I thought it was pretty cowardly of them to shoot me from so far away rather than trying to engage me like any other tank.

All that aside, I just took Goliath home for the usual round of repairs & maintenance.

During the month, I was stuck in the same pattern of going to places I had already been to and blowing up tanks that I had already seen before.

While I enjoyed being a dominant force on the battlefield, I was disappointed by the relative lack of challenge that I had come to lately.

I really needed to get out of this rut.

The only new locale that I came to was a quiet little village named Murovanka.

It sure was nice to get some new scenery in my blood.

Unfortunately, my opponents were not as new.

Disappointingly enough, I ripped them all to shreds without much challenge.

At the end of the battle, rather than going straight home, I took some time to check out the scenery.

During this time, I caught sight of the sun setting beneath the hills.

It was one of the most beautiful things that I had ever seen in my life.

Unfortunately, it did little to help me with my problem.

At that moment, I thought, “I really need to get away.”

“Maybe one day…”

Wait a minute, who was I kidding!??!?

I could get away right now if I wanted to!

I mean, if I could drive all the way to a far-flung place such as Redshire to do battle with enemy tanks, then I am certainly capable of going further!

Question is, where could I go to?

I was already bored with Europe, so no matter where I went, it couldn’t possibly satisfy my need.

…Or could it?

Actually, after thinking about it some more, I decided not to travel anywhere else in Europe, no matter how far away it was from the Soviet Union.

But what next?

After a few more thoughts, I decided to travel south.

I was used to the sheer cold of Russian winters, but that didn’t mean I liked nearly getting frozen to death.

Besides, it hadn’t been overly warm in these past few months no matter where I went.

Now that I had a destination in mind, it was time to prepare…

floppytechie001 #47 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 13:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7964 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH
sand river next,eh?:P

AlphaAndOmega #48 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 21:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 18: GOING SOUTH

In order to complete such a journey, I was going to need supplies.

For this journey, I packed plenty of food, water, fuel and ammo.

If I ever ran out, I figured that I could always pick more up along the way.

At least, I hoped I could.

When I packed as many supplies as I could take, I headed out for my grand journey.

Eventually, lush grasslands and rocky mountain passes gave way to flat, barren desert lands.

Originally, whenever I took a resting period, I slept inside the turret of Goliath.

Unfortunately, as I got further south, it became too hot to sleep inside the tank, so I needed somewhere else to sleep.

Suddenly, an idea came to me:

I dug a trench underneath Goliath, being careful not to dig too close to the treads, and slept there.

It was much cooler in here.

And so I slept.

Lately, I had been dreaming of Mia.

I dreamt that she was okay and that we were living happily ever after.

However, one night, these dreams had taken a weird twist.

During the dream, it began to fade away to a mysterious, dark, hooded figure, with some ominous chanting in the background.

However, I woke up before this image lasted for too long.

I wasn’t too scared or frightened by what I had seen, but I thought it was weird, nonetheless.

One day, I awoke to a new peril:

For some reason, a cobra had chosen to cuddle up with me in the trench that I was sleeping in.

I wasn’t afraid of snakes.

I was, however, afraid of getting bit by one and dying a slow, painful death.

Slowly, I drew my Tokarev.

I must not have been slow enough, because the snake awoke and started hissing at me.

When I started to aim, it bit me on the arm.

Luckily, it bit a piece of armor plating instead of clothing.

After it struck, I blew its tiny little head off.

I then cooked it and had it for breakfast.

I can’t exactly describe how it tastes, but I can tell you that it tasted good.

Maybe I should eat these slimy little bastards more often.

Then again, it’s probably not worth the risk.

After further traveling, I made it to a riverbed in Egypt.

However, the River was completely dried out, with nothing but Sand in it.

Furthermore, when I got there, there were already two companies fighting with each other.

One of them was a German company, the other French.

Both sides had their tanks painted in a “desert” camouflage scheme.

Also, both sides had tanks I’d never seen before.

Rather than join the fray, I decided to wait for one side to lay waste to the other.

After a few minutes, the French emerged victorious, but it was clear that their remaining tanks were badly damaged.

Perfect.

The first tank I encountered was a tank of unknown type, most likely a heavy tank given its apparent size.

BOOM!!!

Goliath’s cannon made mincemeat out of it.

I ducked back into cover to reload.

When I came out of cover, I sighted an ARL-44.

The strange thing about this ARL-44 was that, unlike other ARL-44s I’d seen, it had a more streamlined turret rather than the box-shaped one I was used to seeing.

Regardless, this guy landed a hit on me, but I didn’t receive too much damage.

In contrast, he received critical damage, putting him out for good.

While waiting to reload, a BDR G1B showed up and broke my track.

I wasn’t too worried, though.

As long as he didn’t do too much damage, I could finish him off easily.

And how!

After he was gone, I worked on fixing up the broken track.

When I was almost done, a round whizzed by me, just barely missing me.

I finished the job and hopped back into Goliath, only to discover an AMX-40 targeting me.

BOOM!!!

That was the last tank he’d ever target!

I got ready to leave when I saw a Renault FT-17 targeting me.

This one only had a .51 caliber machine gun.

Rather than waste my time with him, I simply sat there and waited as he expended all his ammunition.

Since Goliath was faster, I just drove away.

Even though it wasn’t much of a threat against Goliath, even that thing could still flatten me despite the fact that I wore a few kilograms of armor.

As such, I had to be somewhat quick as I grabbed supplies from the knocked-out tanks and attempted to identify my new “friends”.

After this search, here’s what I found out:

The German tanks were with a company known as “Die Apfel Korps”, a company that wasn’t very interested in fulfilling the mission of the Third Reich.

Rather, they just wanted to create their own little paradise by reforming the harsh desert lands of Africa into a lush oasis.

Judging by the conditions here, they hadn’t gotten very far.

Among their new tanks, they had a medium tank called a Panzer V “Panther”, a tank destroyer based off the Panzer IV known as the JagdPanzer IV, a hybrid medium tank called the Panzer III/IV, a light tank known as the VK 2801 and an SPG known as the Grille.

Given the apparent lack of any French SPGs, the other guys were lucky to have defeated the Korps.

Speaking of the other guys, the French belonged to “Les Serpents du Désert” (EN: The Desert Snakes).

Les Serpents wanted to maintain control over French colonies in Africa, which was strange because, to my knowledge, Egypt was not a French colony.

Maybe they were trying to expand?

Whatever the case may be, they really only had one new tank, known as an AMX-M4 modèle 1945.

Wait…”modèle 1945”?

I had lost track of time, but I was pretty sure that we were not yet in the year 1945.

Maybe that signified the year that they intended to start producing it?

Who knows?

Barring that, the only other tank that could be considered new was an AMX-13 with a 90mm gun.

Having salvaged whatever I could from my vanquished opponents, I pressed further south into the unforgiving desert lands, leaving the FT-17 behind.

It didn’t matter if I blew him up or not.

Out here, he was dead anyways.

iHuntTanks #49 Posted Apr 21 2012 - 14:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 23334 battles
Snakes aren't actually slimey, just thought you might want to know that :|

AlphaAndOmega #50 Posted Apr 21 2012 - 17:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Yeah, I knew that, but our hero was just using the term figuratively.

AlphaAndOmega #51 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 00:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 19: SANDSTORM

With every kilometer I took, it started getting hotter.

However, I was a tough guy, so I just kept going.

The only time I ever bothered to stop, aside from rest periods, was to patch up some damage on Goliath.

I was a bit concerned about water, but at one point, I found a well.

Luckily, it still had water, so I took whatever I could of this clear liquid gold and kept going.

I soon crossed the Egyptian border into Sudan.

In Sudan, I came to a little village named El Halluf, which was concentrated around a deep valley.

Unlike the Sand River in Egypt, this place was under the control of the Apfel Korps.

My 152mm cannon wasn’t the most accurate cannon, but I decided it would be safer to hold back for a bit and let the Korps members come to me, instead of the other way around.

Already, I spotted a Panzer II “Luchs” and a VK 1602 “Leopard” coming towards me.

The Leopard looked to be going faster, so I targeted it first.

BOOM!!!

The Leopard was toast.

The Luchs came up to me before I had reloaded, so I had to use an anti-tank grenade to destroy it.

Rather than staying here, I had to move.

Instead of going into the valley and getting myself killed, I decided to take the western flank.

Things were going pretty well until I got to the western side and was about to go downhill.

By the time I got there, there was a group of four tanks consisting of a Panther, a Panzer IV and two Panzer III/IVs.

The Panther looked like the biggest threat, so I fired at it first.

While it wasn’t killed, it did take plenty of damage, including some broken tracks.

When the crew attempted to repair the tracks, I eliminated them using my hull-mounted DT machine gun.

I backed away, but as I backed away, I heard some rounds bouncing off my turret.

I discovered that there was another Leopard behind me, which, thankfully, was only armed with a 2cm flak gun.

I rammed the tank, immobilizing it, and then put it out of action with an anti-tank grenade.

By this time, my gun was loaded, and I discovered a Panzer IV aiming at me.

I had taken aim at him too, and ultimately, I was faster on the trigger than he was.

BOOM!!!

With the Panzer IV taken out, I turned my attention to the other tanks.

Unfortunately, an SPG was also firing at me, which complicated my work.

While he was only marginally accurate, he was still annoying me, so I had to eliminate the spotters.

With my cannon loaded, I eliminated one III/IV and severely damaged the other one because it was too close to his comrade.

The other one was summarily destroyed when I rammed it.

Still, the enemy artillery fired at me.

A Hetzer also fired at me from the top of the next hill.

I took careful aim, and…

BOOM!!!

One down, a few more to go.

Coming over this hill, I encountered a VK 2801.

He fired a shot at me, doing plenty of damage.

However, I simply took care of him and moved on.

I got a little reprieve for the next few moments, save for a couple of random artillery shells.

My reprieve ended when I encountered a second Panzer IV.

His tank also ended when he encountered me.

Coming over to their side, there was only a Hetzer expecting me.

He did a significant amount of damage to me, so I had to be cautious.

I edged my tank over until I could at least see part of him, and…

BOOM!!!

Hetzer destroyed!

Aside from him, the only other tank that seemed to be expecting me was a Panther, but I caught him looking another way and did massive damage to him.

After my first shot, I backed away and let him come to me.

When there was another round in the chamber, I went to engage him when he broke through a few nearby houses.

However, I was well-prepared for him.

BOOM!!!

After destroying the Panther, I decided to take cover behind its charred corpse when something caught my eye:

It was a Grille.

It was turning towards my direction.

Unfortunately, I had not completely reloaded before it fired.

Fortunately, it missed.

Also fortunate for me was the fact that I blew it away once I’d reloaded.

All that was left was a Panzer IV and a JagdPanzer IV.

The Panzer IV was coming my direction, which complicated matters somewhat.

Thankfully, I took aim before it did, and…

BOOM!!!

As for the JagdPanzer, I didn’t waste another round on it because it was just sitting there.

Apparently, despite the loud, booming sound of my cannon, it was still expecting that I was going to make the mistake of crossing that forlorn valley.

Taking advantage of that crew’s obliviousness, I left Goliath temporarily, opened up a hatch on the JagdPanzer, dropped an anti-tank grenade in and ran before it took me down with the JagdPanzer.

Phew, I’ve had enough of this sea of fire!

Before heading home, though, I decided to collect any supplies and scrap metal that I could in order to repair my tank.

While I was doing so, though, a sandstorm started brewing, so I got into the turret and waited for it to subside.

About an hour later, the sandstorm stopped.

When I got out to continue my repairs, I got a big surprise:

All the tanks that I had blown up had completely disappeared.

How did that happen!?

Was it some sort of magic?

As you know, I don’t like to spend too much time trying to figure out such mysteries, especially when I had a job to do, so I finished up my repairs and started my journey back to Europe.

This journey was probably the hardest of all.

Being deep in the desert, I couldn’t exactly get all the supplies I needed.

I knew, however, that water was more important than food, so I concentrated on trying to find that.

Fuel was the most difficult of all.

Although I was able to siphon some fuel from dead tanks, there was a problem:

My KV-2 – as with most Soviet tanks - was powered by diesel fuel.

All of the German and French tanks I encountered were powered by gasoline.

Actually, Goliath could still run on gas, but not as well.

Eventually, I ran out of fuel.

I got so angry that I just started to throw a tantrum, even shooting my Tokarev at the ground.

Luck had never shined brighter than before:

One of those shots opened a hole in the ground, causing oil to spout.

I didn’t even care that it was raw petroleum; I just collected whatever I could, filled my tank and put the rest into fuel canisters.

Remember how I said Goliath could run on gasoline?

Well, as long as a liquid burns, Goliath will run on it.

Obviously, crude oil wasn’t the best for that V-5 engine, but as long as it got me home, I wasn’t going to be choosy.

By the time I had gone a significant distance north, I was tired, bleary and half-dead from hunger and thirst.

I had even started to have hallucinations about Mia, which soon morphed into the mysterious shadowy figure.

The occasional sandstorms didn’t help, either.

Finally, when I thought that this was the end, I made it to the lush grasslands and cool mountain ranges of Europe.

Food and drink was more plentiful here.

I was so grateful to make it back home alive!

When I located my hideout, I carried out proper repairs.

I was so tired that I didn’t feel like doing maintenance afterwards.

I simply fell asleep and didn’t wake up until a few days later.

cheesellama #52 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 00:50

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
WG should make this an animated series.

AlphaAndOmega #53 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 01:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postcheesellama, on Apr 25 2012 - 00:50, said:

WG should make this an animated series.

Actually, I sorta envisioned this as a comic book, too, which explains why I'm doing this odd "line by line" style of writing for the story. But it would be cool if there was an animated series based on this!

Patzak #54 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 02:11

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 9264 battles
I like the story, it wouldnt be a stretch to say I love this. Tough I do have one problem with it, our main character has not met an enemy he had to out smart to defeat. So far he would shoot, ram, then shoot some more when he can't ram. I fear that with the "derp" gun he won't really see much of a challenge until tier 8 tanks come into play. Even then he is still capable of causing severe damage to any target up until tier 9 and then it won't even be a fight. Perhaps "Goliath" could one day be destroyed by a powerfull enemy such as a king tiger or T29. He would vow to take revenge and strive to create a superior tank, the KV-3 perhaps? It has all the apeal of the KV, and since it's becoming a tier 7 in 7.3 it would be able to challenge most tanks. These are just some ideas you don't have to use them if you have different plans so keep up the good work! :D

AlphaAndOmega #55 Posted Apr 27 2012 - 00:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Well, mishasvin, I can't guarantee that Goliath will be destroyed beyond all recognition, given that the game allows you to repair blown-up tanks, but I can guarantee that our hero will be challenged by even greater foes and will resort to some interesting tactics. That being said,

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 20: OLD FRIENDS

When I woke up, I couldn’t get out of bed at first.

I felt so relaxed that I didn’t want to get out of bed.

However, after exerting plenty of willpower, I managed to get up.

Looking at Goliath, I realized that I must’ve been more tired than I thought.

I just noticed that the name “Goliath” had been completely erased from the tank.

Apparently, the sandstorms had eroded the paint.

Thankfully, I had more paint lying around, so I simply gave my best friend a fresh coat.

However, that wasn’t enough.

Now that I was refreshed and ready to take on the world, I had to refresh its innards, too.

I disassembled the engine, cleaned up a lot of its parts and reassembled it.

I also drained the crude petroleum from the fuel tank, washed it out and put pure diesel fuel in.

Goliath was all ready to go!

With the two of us good to go, I fired up Goliath and headed out for battle.

Since I felt that my last engagement there was a fake, I headed back to Murovanka to see if any worthy opponents were waiting for me.

At first, I thought I was just getting more of the same when a T-50 and a Panzer III charged me.

I used the 152mm cannon to wipe out the T-50 and rammed the Panzer III, immobilizing it.

I headed east, moving towards a forested area.

That turned out to be a bad idea as a couple of shots rang out from the forest.

Luckily, they all missed, so I just pointed my cannon in the direction that the shots came from and fired.

I didn’t try to find out if anyone was hit; I simply turned the other way and fell back.

This time, I decided to go north, staying to the west of the hills.

Coming to an intersection, I saw an SU-100 at the top of one hill.

BOOM!!!

I proved to be faster on the draw than he was.

I backed off a little while I waited for the cannon to reload.

While this was happening, a T-28 came from the north and attempted to charge me.

Additionally, artillery had begun to fire upon me.

The T-28 pulled up alongside me and attempted to shoot me.

I tried to bring my cannon sights onto him when…

BOOM!!!

The same artillery gun that was firing upon me accidentally destroyed the T-28, saving me the trouble of having to destroy it myself.

I proceeded further north, trying to seek cover in the westernmost hills and trying to dodge the artillery fire.

I also had to contend with a Hetzer that spotted me on another hill.

Though his shot damaged Goliath, it only grazed, so my tank was still all right.

When the 152mm M-10 was through with that Hetzer, it was anything but all right.

Shortly after the Hetzer was destroyed, the artillery subsided, but I felt that I should destroy it anyways.

Going up the westernmost hill, in an obscure corner, I encountered a German SPG of unknown type.

With a round fresh in the chamber, I blew up the SPG.

Come to think of it, the KV-2 is an SPG in a way.

Then again, no SPG that I’ve encountered has ever had a turret or good armor.

All that aside, rather than advancing, I decided to play it safe, lest my new opponents be as crafty as the Armored Shadows.

Here, I nestled Goliath into the corner and decided to make some observations.

Also, since my radio frequency has been intercepted in the past, I decided to fiddle around with the 10RK and see if I could pick up anything.

After a few seconds, I picked up the following signal:

“…with Unit Six. Squad Two, investigate the area, over.”

“This is Unit Two; we are heading there now. Unit Two out.”

After a few more moments, I saw Squad Two enter the area.

Squad Two consisted of two T-34s plus a large German tank that I’d never seen before.

In addition to elongated turrets, these T-34s also possessed long-barreled guns, possibly over 100mm in caliber.

I waited for them to turn away before attacking.

Knowing that it was better to remove any tanks from the battlefield quickly without regard to ranking, I aimed for one of the T-34s and fired.

BOOM!!!

“This is Unit Four, Unit Five has been lost! I repeat, Unit Five has been lost, over!”

“Unit Four, did you see where that shot came from, over?”

“Negative!”

“Unit Four, check the north. I’ll cover the south. Unit Two out.”

I waited until the T-34 and the German tank started going their separate ways, then…

BOOM!!!

The T-34 was knocked out.

I hid back behind the remains of the SPG.

A few moments later, the German tank radioed in:

“This is Unit Two, nothing to report in the southern quadrant. Unit Four, what’s your status? Over.”

“…Unit Four, I say again, what is your status!?’

“…Unit Four, where are you!??!”

“We’ve lost contact with Unit Four. Investigate the western sector, over.”

“This is Unit Three, we’re already there! Unit Four has been destroyed, I repeat, Unit Four is down! Over!”

I drove out from cover just enough to see who had arrived.

Here, I saw a Panther plus two Panzer IVs.

“Unit Three, do you see anything? Over.”

“Negative, sir! We will be conducting a thorough sweep of the western sec…”

BOOM!!!

While the shot did not destroy the Panther, it was heavily damaged, including a broken track. Over the radio, I heard just how shaken the crew was:

“This is Unit Three, WE’VE BEEN HIT!!!! UNITS EIGHT AND NINE, CHECK IT IMMEDIATELY, OVER!!!”

“Roger that!!!”

My gun was not yet reloaded, so I waited a few more seconds.

When the time was right, I peeked out and noticed that one Panzer IV was headed in my general direction.

BOOM!!!

He was toast.

However, I think I alerted the Panther, so I went back into cover.

“Unit Nine, this is Unit Three! Unit Eight has been lost! One of our artillery units may have betrayed us! Over!

“Roger, this is Unit Nine! I am heading over there now! Unit Nine out!”

I drove Goliath to the other side of the hill in order to locate the second Panzer IV.

When I spotted it, I took aim and blasted it.

I had to duck back into cover because I thought I caught a glimpse of that mystery German heavy.

“This is Unit Three, I confirm that Unit Ten has gone crazy and is eliminating our own forces! Unit Seven, start bombarding Sector A1, over!”

“Roger, this is Unit Seven! I am aiming for that location now! Commencing bombardment! Unit Seven out!”

At that moment, I decided it would be best to take a new position.

I headed out and sighted the Panther just as the first shell hit.

I was still good, so I took careful aim at the Panther and finished it off.

I then went full speed ahead down the hill, evading another shell.

“Unit One, this is Unit Two! I have sighted an enemy tank, type KV-2 with unknown armament! Attacking him now! Unit Two out!”

“Roger! Unit Seven, reset your gun coordinates! Unit One out!”

“Roger! Unit Seven Out!”

The remaining German tank took a shot at me and hit my turret, but my tank was still holding together.

Instead of engaging him head on, I went around the hill and attempted to hit him on the side.

I also had to be concerned about “Unit One”, whatever it may be.

Going down one road, I sighted the German tank, who happened to be facing away from me, so I took careful aim and fired…

BOOM!!!

“This is Unit Two, we have suffered critical damage! We are still okay, but I don’t know how much more of this we can take! Unit One, help us out here, over!”

“Unit Two, we’re on our way! Proceed carefully! Unit One out!”

I hid amongst a group of houses, hoping that none of my foes would see me.

I also shut off my engine for the time being.

A minute or so later, I heard the rumbling of a diesel engine & caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a Soviet tank, but I couldn’t be sure.

I just sat perfectly still.

After a few moments, I heard the following message:

“This is Unit One. No sign of our friend here. Where did you see him? Over.”

“He was heading east the last time I saw him. I suggest we search over there. He may even have gone to our base, too. Over.”

“Acknowledged. I will head back to base. Unit Two, search near Sector J9. Unit One out.”

“Roger. Unit Two Out.”

I waited until the diesel faded off into the distance and restarted my engine.

However, I think the German spotted me.

“Unit One, this is Unit Two! I’ve spotted the KV-2! He’s…”

BOOM!!!

The crew never got to finish their message before I destroyed the tank.

“Unit Two, where is the enemy!? Unit Two, RESPOND!!!”

“Unit Two is down! Unit Seven, focus your gun near the southeastern quadrant, over!”

“Roger that, sir! Setting new coordinates…”

BOOM!!!

In the forest, I located Unit Seven, a Soviet SPG of unknown type, and had blown it up!

Turns out I had also blown up an unknown tank destroyer earlier in the battle.

“Unit Seven, what the hell is going on!?!?”

“Hey, Unit One,” I chimed in, “if you want me, then come and get me!!”

“Whoever you are, you have been meddling with us far too long, and now it is time for you to get what you deserve!!”

“So be it!!”

In the forest, I waited for the other guy to show up.

A few moments later, the Soviet tank came into view.

The turret looked similar to a KV-1S turret, but the chassis was completely different. In fact, it looked sort of like an enlarged T-34 chassis.

Regardless, I aimed carefully and fired…

BOOM!!!

While the tank was not destroyed, I did manage to set it on fire.

Unfortunately, the crew put the fire out.

I attempted to take a new position, but the tank took aim at me and fired, causing significant damage.

Thus, we were engaged in our own little dance of death, just me and him.

It was now or never.

I took careful aim, and…

BOOM!!!

cheesellama #56 Posted Apr 28 2012 - 01:16

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
Dude, hurry up with the KV-2 grind before 7.3 comes out! That way, you'll get 3 tanks in a garage!

AlphaAndOmega #57 Posted Apr 28 2012 - 20:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles
Cheesellama, I think our hero's already unlocked the KV-3 by now, or he would have if the tankpocalypse hadn't occurred. In any case,

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 21: REFLECTIONS

A funny thing happened:

The unknown Soviet tank had destroyed Goliath, but at the same time, I had destroyed him, too.

Once again, though, my armored suit prevented me from taking critical damage.

I was pretty mad at what happened, but Goliath had been destroyed and repaired once before, so I knew just what it needed.

While I was repairing Goliath, a thought came to me:

For some reason, it seemed as if most of the trouble I had in battle was due to enemy Soviet tanks.

True, other tanks did cause problems for me, and of course there was that incident at Ensk, but that was different.

I thought of Malinovka, the Ural Mountains, the Steppes, and now this:

I never thought my own country’s tanks could be so problematic.

Sure, I knew they were good, but I never dreamed that they would turn against me like this.

Then again, Goliath had dished out its own share of annoyances.

Whatever the case was, no one else came to the scene, so I finished up Goliath’s repairs without much trouble, and before going home, took some time to find out who my foes were.

My research showed that they were the Molotov-Ribbentrop Coalition, a group who agreed that Operation Barbarossa was a big mistake and wanted to restore the friendship between Germany & the Soviet Union.

To do this, they were going to split the world in half, setting the line at Poland. Germany would get the West, while we got the East.

The very thought of this sickened me.

Never in a million years would I let Germany take any part of the world beyond their own borders, especially not after what they had done to us in the First World War and especially after I heard how they treated Soviet POWs.

But all that aside, here’s what I found out about their new tanks:

They had a strange tank destroyer called an SU-85I, which certainly looked similar to the SU-85, but was based on a German chassis.

Their two artillery guns were a Hummel, a German SPG, and an SU-8, a Soviet SPG based on a T-28 chassis.

The unknown German heavy tank was called a Panzer VI, better known as a “Tiger”.

This one mounted an 88mm gun, similar to their flak guns.

Didn’t I also see a Panther with something similar?

What really caught my attention, though, was that Soviet heavy tank that got off one last shot before being destroyed:

It was called the “Iosif Stalin”, after the Soviet Union’s leader, or “IS” for short.

I crumpled the handbook a little when I saw this name.

As much as I hated the Germans, I didn’t agree with Stalin too much, either.

Then again, I didn’t exactly agree with the old Lenin government.

Somehow, I had the distinct feeling that Russia had gotten a poor lot in life when it came to governments.

But what about the United States?

Were they really any better?

I mean, Soviet propaganda often decried the US as being a nation of mindless, decadent warmongers who, among other things, lacked emotion and only cared about money.

While I questioned whether this was true, I was not allowed to do so openly because I also valued my life.

But I’ve been rambling too much.

Since none of that matters anymore, let me get back to tanks:

There were two different versions of the IS: The IS-1 and the IS-2.

The IS-1 ordinarily mounted an 85mm D-5T, but was also capable of mounting a 100mm D-10T or an 85mm D5T-85BM.

As I had also learned, the T-34 was also capable of mounting the latter two guns if it had the correct turret mounted.

Maybe that’s why I saw elongated guns on those two T-34s!

The other IS, the IS-2, mounted two different types of 122mm guns: The D-2-5-T, which I was familiar with because of the KV-3, and the D-25T.

The tank I had encountered was the IS-2.

I was right. These things were nasty.

I didn’t care, though.

Common sense would have told me that I should get a new tank by now, but I didn’t really feel like it.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that Goliath has its limitations and that the other tanks were improving in terms of armor protection and firepower.

However, Goliath is special.

This was the first tank that I really cared about in my entire career.

Unlike the T-46 or T-28, this tank was more than just a firepower upgrade.

This was the first tank that really protected me from “the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune”, as Shakespeare had once said.

That protection kept me alive long enough to do some major damage, too.

Plus, Goliath never threatened to demote me, forced me to do menial labor or tried to have me shipped to the Gulag for trivial matters.

It was like we were destined to be together.

But, that’s enough chit-chat for now!

Since no one else arrived in Murovanka during this time, I left and made it back home safely.

Oh, and one more thing:

The handbooks I picked up mentioned an IS-3 at one point, but I couldn’t find any entries for this one, so I assumed that it was a misprint.

cheesellama #58 Posted Apr 29 2012 - 02:46

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
Dude, sticking with the KV/KV-2 is okay, but you've got to get that KV-3 before 7.3 so that yu'd get a better deal!

AlphaAndOmega #59 Posted May 02 2012 - 00:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5978 battles

View Postcheesellama, on Apr 29 2012 - 02:46, said:

Dude, sticking with the KV/KV-2 is okay, but you've got to get that KV-3 before 7.3 so that yu'd get a better deal!

Hmmm...after giving it some further thought, I might incorporate a KV-3 into this story. But first, hang on to your seat, because our hero is about to get...

Spoiler                     

CHAPTER 22: SWAMPED

After I was done taking care of Goliath, I decided that I needed some way to hide it during battle.

I looked around my hideout and found a large green canvas.

I altered it a little and stuck random pieces of foliage on it to create an improvised camouflage net.

The net was large enough to fit Goliath, but it only worked well if the tank was standing still.

Also, the net looked blatantly fake at close range.

Nevertheless, it was good enough for its intended purpose, so I rolled it up, strapped it onto Goliath and headed to the Swamps at Pripyat.

Everything looked innocent enough, but I kept my guard up, knowing that this could be a repeat of that time in the Urals.

However, even after a minute or so, no one cared to show up.

I dared not go down the center because I figured that their ambush would be set up there.

Rather, I took the northern road.

That road was pretty clear, until…

“WHAT THE…!?!?”

My KV-2 had driven into a trap!

Somebody had dug a pit in the ground and covered it up.

Whoever dug it had done their research; the pit was large enough for Goliath, so it couldn’t drive out by itself.

However, they forgot one thing:

They didn’t dig the pit deep enough to compensate for the tall KV-2 turret!

So, my tank was an immobile pillbox for the time being.

Not long after we fell into the pit, a couple of American tanks showed up to have their way with me.

There was an M2 medium, an M4 Sherman and an unrecognized tank.

Knowing the potential danger that mystery tanks posed, I took it out first.

Because the 152 was closer to the ground, the gun blast actually displaced some of the nearby dirt.

Seeing what happened to their comrade, the remaining tanks decided to turn and flee.

Meanwhile, I tried to dig my way out of this pit.

It wasn’t easy, and just like Ensk, I had to return to my now-immobilized tank when anybody showed up.

The M2 & M4 returned only when they had brought a few friends, namely, an M4A3E8 and a vehicle that resembled a Sherman, albeit with a pyramid-like hull and a different turret.

Though they damaged me, a bunch of their shots missed because my turret was partially covered.

Not sure of who to take out first, I went for the M4A3E8 first and blew it up.

As for the M4-like vehicle, I tossed an anti-tank grenade at it, putting it out of action.

I damaged the other Sherman with another grenade.

All of a sudden, artillery fire started to rain down on my location.

Luckily, one of the shells struck the M2 by accident, putting it out of commission and taking care of a potential spotter.

The surviving Sherman made a frenzied retreat, but during his retreat, he randomly blew up.

How did that happen!?

I didn’t hear any cannon fire or see any shell trails.

That only left one other possibility:

There were mines in this area.

Not good.

It was bad enough that Goliath was stuck here for the time being, but now I have to deal with mines!?

Even worse, I had no mine detectors with me, so there were only three possibilities:

First, I could get out on foot and probe the land manually using my knife, but that was too risky because an enemy tank could easily kill me.

Second, I could toss one of my anti-tank grenades into an area where I thought there might be a mine, but I only had a couple left, and those were too precious to waste.

Third, I could use the 152 to detonate them, but then I wouldn’t have enough shells left to take on enemy tanks.

Speaking of enemy tanks, another one of those unidentified tanks came along with an M4A3E2 tagging behind.

I stopped digging, took out the unidentified tank with one of my grenades and used Goliath’s cannon to destroy the Sherman.

I immediately resumed digging, trying to go as fast as humanly possible and trying not to accidentally bury Goliath.

Artillery continued to rain down, but none of the shells struck Goliath.

Thanks to the craters made by the random artillery fire and by the muzzle blast of Goliath’s 152mm howitzer, along with the furious rate at which I was digging, I eventually dug a suitable ramp for Goliath to get out of the pit.

However, it was pretty slow to get out of the pit.

Nevertheless. I made it out of there without too much trouble.

My only problem now – aside from the remaining enemy tanks – was: How am I going to proceed any further through this area without detonating a mine?

One wrong move and Goliath would be destroyed, or at the very least, it would lose a track.

Hmm…

Track…

THAT WAS IT!

I decided to follow the trail left behind by the M4A3E2, which went around the north side of the area.

Things were going well until a random shot damaged Goliath and severed my track.

After another shot came from the same direction and missed me, I aimed in that direction, and…

BOOM!!!

Whatever had fired at me was now destroyed.

I proceeded further and sighted a bridge.

Rather than crossing the bridge, though, I proceeded to a nearby bush.

The reason I did so was because I wanted to test out my new camo net.

Once I had driven Goliath over to the bush, I threw the camo net over it and crawled under.

Before that, I also covered up the tread marks left behind by Goliath so that no one could find it.

Once I was back in my tank, I shut off the engine and just waited.

And waited.

And waited…

I listened for the sounds of tank engines and peeked through a hole in the net to check for any tanks passing by.

However, a few hours passed, and nobody came.

Nevertheless, I decided to go along with whatever little waiting game they had in mind.

It wasn’t easy, though.

Night fell, and still, none of these guys came to look for me.

Rather than falling asleep, I thought it would be a better idea to stay awake just in case anybody came searching for me.

It was difficult, but I think I must’ve stayed up all night without anybody finding me.

Eventually, though, I had to bow to the inevitable, and when morning came and nobody showed, I let my sleepiness take hold of me…

cheesellama #60 Posted May 02 2012 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 5673 battles
Let me guess... the enemies come 2 minutes after he falls asleep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users